Gunsights and damage

Here is a question to throw out. Have not seen much on it and wanted to see if some of the readers here know the subject better. I have read that frequently a non penetrating hit on an AFV would disable the main gun by knocking out the gunsight-forcing the vehicle to have to pull out of action to repair or replace the sight. Does anybody know how common this was?

I'm just taking a guess here.. but I figure that shot would penetrate right into the turret and wreak havoc. This is what I figure accounts for some of the weak point penetrations. The optics look through a hole in the armor. If a shell/shot makes it into that hole .. the only thing on the other side of that hole is some fragile optics and then some men.

I'd guess that the openings for optics, coax MG and any others, were points that if hit, would not only damage something, but probably make a full penetration and KO the tank.... or at least the man behind that opening.... ick.

Regards and if I'm mistaken, please correct me.

scott karch

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CRSutton:

Here is a question to throw out. Have not seen much on it and wanted to see if some of the readers here know the subject better. I have read that frequently a non penetrating hit on an AFV would disable the main gun by knocking out the gunsight-forcing the vehicle to have to pull out of action to repair or replace the sight. Does anybody know how common this was?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CM models sight hits by assigning the main armament a knock out, or by assigning the round a weak point penetration resulting in the possibility of a dead tank.

Scott,

What I am talking about is not a penetration and kill through a weak point but the force of a heavy shell hitting the AFV and not doing any damage but the shock of the impact shaking the vehicle so violently that the gunsight is broken or knocked out of allignment. How common was this?