Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

infantry id

Ive noticed the AI will allow untargetting infantry to try to hit a platoon HQ yet if I click on the infantry icon it will usualy show me 'Infantry?' until it gets closer to give a positive ID why can the AI identify enough to be able to try to eliminate it but I cant.

This is a similar issue with hidden AT opening up on Bazookas etc. it seems once again the AI can identify but my info box only gives me a '?"

As I understand this, Dave thinks that TacAI cheats the Fog of War, thus targetting high priority units without positive IDing, for example infantry units will target Platoon HQ as high-priority unit, but the unit has not been IDed yet.

I belive this is not true or is just a coincidence. I believe that even after IDing the HQ unit, squads are still the highest priority, as i have never seen infantry squad switching fire from squad to HQ unit.

Dave, do you mean this:

You have an infantry squad firing first at an "infantry?"-target.

Then it changes its mind and fires at another "infantry?"-target.

The first "infantry?" turns out to be a rifle-squad, while the other turns out to be a plt-hq.

What you wonder is why your own squad decided to change target, right?

ie, it decided to change target even before the second target was identified as a hq-unit.

Sort of like... did your own squad know something *you* did not know?

Have I understood the question correctly?

If so - good question! smile.gif

Personally I do not think your squads know something you do not. The squad changed target just because it suited them, for supressive reasons etc.

Thats right Stefan thats what i mean. I dont think its a one off Ive noticed it pretty regular.

I guess in reality you can usually see better if your on the field rather than from command point of view (me on screen)

bazookas running across open ground and MG walking are good examples of the info box showing 'Infantry?" but through experience we know that they run for a short distance then get tired pretty quick. But ive heard that hidden AT guns will open on them even if you walk all infantry so how come the AI can force fire on a high value icon even though the info box still shows "infantry?" which would indicate 'unknown value"

I havent trialed this but Ive picked up the comments re Gamey aspect of sending bazookas out front to discover hidden AT

I know I if I see a group of icons running across the field i try to pick out which icon is

a) single versus two or three

B) the icon is at the rear usually to give the HQ some cover.

so i can only assume that the single/rear icon is a HQ but the AI seems to pick it out no problem. So it seems Ai is geared to scan and then target higher value victims based on coding rather than visual ID

Im not an expert but its just an observation Ive made that I think is more than coincidance