Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Mortor LOS, I cant get one.

Where are you guys putting your mortors so they can shoot at something other than the guy five feet out? How do I get them to blind fire into the woods or at suspected positions without a clear LOS, do I really have to put them on a really high hill.....please help.......they just sit there with nothing to blowup.

Originally posted by Chaffee:

Where are you guys putting your mortors so they can shoot at something other than the guy five feet out?

The same places I put machine gun teams or other weapons that like a long field of fire: on or near crests, in the fronts of tree lines, and so on. It can take awhile for mortar teams to be spotted even when they're firing at spotted targets, if you're not too close.

[ObSp: It's "mortar," BTW.]

How do I get them to blind fire into the woods or at suspected positions without a clear LOS, do I really have to put them on a really high hill.....please help.......they just sit there with nothing to blowup.

For "blind" fire, you need to either (1) buy a TRP (Target Reference Point, 10 points in the Fortifications category) or use a HQ unit as a spotter. Mortars can only fire at TRPs if they haven't moved during the scenario (relocating would screw up the calculations that have been made for firing on the TRP). If a mortar is in command range of an HQ, they can fire (as area fire) at any spot that HQ can see. So you can put the mortars behind a hill or behind a building, and have the HQ up on the crest or in the top floor to spot for them.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

Originally posted by Chaffee:

Mortor LOS, I cant get one.

Sounds like a personal problem to me. wink.giftongue.gif

No really, you just gotta get them on a ridge or some hill where they have LOS to a wide viewing range. It's really not hard to do. You just gotta get down with View #1 and scout the land contours to find a suitable place.

Originally posted by Pacestick:

Anything the HQ has LOS to you can target with the mortars under its command.

I'd like to see the effect of that when you're using the LOS and target tools, as now you have to check the HQ's LOs, then target something that's out of LOS for the mortar.

And how about blind-firing the 81mm as an option..?

------------------

"He belongs to a race which has coloured the map red, and all he wants are the green fields of England..."

- Joe Illingworth, Yorkshire Post War Correspondent