Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Pz I and Pz II conversions

I was playing a game last night where I bought 2 Marder II's. It got me to thinking about the changes the German's needed to make to the Pz II to make it into a tank hunter.

The main question I have is since the Pz II was originally equiped with a 20mm cannon where did they put the ammo storage for the 75mm shells on the Marder?

Also, for the 4.7cm Pak version of the Pz I where did they put the ammo storage?

I'd guess that the original version of these tanks didn't have much space for ammo storage. I suppose that since both of these conversions were open topped that the additional space for ammo storage might have come this way.

Any ideas?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Enoch:

The main question I have is since the Pz II was originally equiped with a 20mm cannon where did they put the ammo storage for the 75mm shells on the Marder?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Marder hull is larger length wise then the original tanks. That is how they added more space. One other difference is that the engine of that tank was centred in the middle of hull rather then back. The Shells where in where the crew are.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

I'd guess that the original version of these tanks didn't have much space for ammo storage. I suppose that since both of these conversions were open topped that the additional space for ammo storage might have come this way.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They did. The ammo was in the gun cew area.

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

A point to consider is that all those Pzjg and Spg based on obselte chassis had no roof so ammo stowage was far easier. Of course the stowage was still limited, and no overhead protection was an entirely different matter!