CM as a squad level game

CM is a squad-level game. What you are talking about is a soldier-level game like Close Combat. Depends on your terminology of course, but I think top-down is the standard way to do it, ie. you quote the highest level of resolution. CM is a squad-level company- or battalion-scale game, wereas the likes of CC is a soldier-level, platoon- or company-scale game.

By the way, I tried this kind of thing the other day. I lined up 40 marksmen in a treeline (a platoon's worth of men) and had two platoons – twice their number – run at them across open ground. Left alone the marksmen lose, because they're reluctant to shoot. But when I ordered them to fire, the attackers were obliterated in about two volleys. They broke after the first. Both sides were Veteran.

Seeing every man looks cool, but as we know, it is not yet practical to simulate this in CM. Anyone who thinks otherwise, let me know and I'll provide links to the numerous and extensive discussions on the subject.

button.gif

Nice idea, from a "gamey" perspective. In Real World™ terms though, individual marksmen can't function as a squad. They fight independently – they can't offer each other fire support, or leapfrog, or maneuvre together. Keep in mind that CM simulates (in an abstracted way) squad maneuvring which you don't actually see.