How to download Mods

I am not a computer person. I bought this thing ( computer ) to play games only but now after getting into CM I find myself looking at these Mods and wanting to be able to use them. I assume after trying to make them work that you really have to know what you are doing. Can't the people that make the Mods just make them easy work? If not is there somebody out there that can explain in stupid person talk how to downpoad and get them to work. If there's not I will just continue playing the game because it is the best game I've seen. And I'm about to PoP after hearing that there's only to be a CM2 with Russian stuff involved. Man it can't get any better then that. Can anybody help????????????

------------------

lcm,

My advice is to download the mod manager and get the bmp list so you know which files are which.

I gave an example of how I renamed and re-archived all the Marco Bergman Stuart mods in this thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/015440.html

This example is for a complicated mod. If you have a mod which is just 9 bmps for one tank with no options, though, its really easy.

Good luck.

OK '47, Assuming you are a Windows user I'll give this a try... work with me here biggrin.gif

First, BACKUP your BMP directory! Locate that folder (believe the default is C:\Program Files\CMBO\BMP) and copy it to another location on your computer. That way if something goes wrong you can just copy the contents back over.

Next, find some mods that you want. I'll assume since you are here that you are web-fluent and have looked around at what's available and already have your eye on some favorites. So... go get one!

Each webpage has a slightly different way to get the download. Sometimes you left click the pic, sometimes a separate "hot" text link, whatever it is, left click it and wait a sec or 2. You should then get a Windows dialog box offering you the option to "download" or "open here". Select "download", paying close attention to the location that Windows is putting the mod in (you can browse to change the location - you may want to set up a folder just for mods in advance). Depending on the size of the mod, your connection type and the website, the D/L will take anywhere from a few seconds to 1/2 hour or more. You'll see the progress displayed and the rate at which it's coming down as it downloads, and it will tell you or close the dialog box when it's done.

Once you have the mod, go to it using Windows Explorer. You DID pay attention to what folder Windows put it in didn't you? smile.gif

You'll need a ZIP extraction program to unzip the mod. The most popular is Winzip, but there are a number of others that do the job. Depending on which unzipping utility you use, you may have to left click or right click and select to extract the mod. Before you unzip the mod though, have a look at it. (virtually all the unzip programs have an option to see the contents of a zipped file before unzipping it.) Most mods will have a README file that you should probably have a look at, and some have optional BMPs with suffix names (like 4013_alt.bmp) that require you to do a little renaming to use the alternate BMP. A few have complete batch file systems to do renaming for you - be sure and read the README carefully on those.

You want to unzip the mod into the BMP directory of you CMBO game that you found earlier to backup. Just unzip the mod into it and it's installed.

(What happens is that the new custom BMP files overwrite the standard BMPs supplied with the game. These graphics are then loaded next time you run the game.)

You might also want to look at CM Mod Manager, which unzips mods for you, just be a bit careful with it, because the default for it is to remove ALL the graphics in the BMP folder. Be sure and select to install a single mod only if you use it, or plan on re-installing _everything_ (including the default BMPs) whenever you install a mod.

Hope that helps - the mods out in the user community are too good _not_ to at least give them a try. And if you mess up, you can always just copy that backed up BMP directory back over.

- Old Dog

Old Dog's CM Central The CM Photo Gallery!

[This message has been edited by Old Dog (edited 02-11-2001).]

Originally posted by DraGoon:

Good Response OD

Can I use some of that on the site? we're starting to put together a simple "how to install mods for beginners".

DG

Thanks Pete! Sure, you're welcome to use it. My wife says I tend to _over_ explain things, maybe that's a useful character flaw here on the board sometimes biggrin.gif

I'd also be glad to help put that Beginner's

Guide together if you'd like - editing, helping write, proofing, whatever. Just shoot me an e-mail if you're interested.

- Old Dog

if you don't have winzip, you can download it from free software sites like http://www.cnet.com . it is easy to install and use, and is very useful for non-games as well.

anyway, be sure you have a general idea of what the mod will look like. also, if it comes with a batch file, you can ignore it and the mod will be fine most of the time. you can look for info on how to use batch files later, or don't use them as i do(not?).

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show