The German tank destruction medal

Guest Heinz 25th PzReg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, almost forgot this thread!

Mike wrote:

Poor Germans! The bohunk (look THAT up in Der Funk and Wagnall's!) from Canada keeps telling you about your language!

That is self-contradictory in the original sense of "bohunk": Since a bohunk is a Bohemian-Hungarian he cannot by definition be from Canada. Unless you use "bohunk" in a proverbial/metaphorical way, which according to my Könemann-Merriam-Webster would mean you are a rough-looking, illiterate lower class unskilled labourer...???

Bohunk is not a german word. We have much funnier words. Like, Straßenverkehrsordnungsverwaltungsverfahrensvorschrift. Or something.

yours sincerely,

M.Hofbauer

I am using bohunk in a most decidely colloquial and Canadian way, the origins and usage of which are just as mystifying to you as they are to me!

In slang, the term has been adapted to refer also to persons of Ukrainian origins, of which I am one.

I expect neither Webster nor Oxford to have a solid grasp on it!

Anything you can teach me will be gratefull accepted.

"Cool"?

You know, I email other Doroshes at random when I come across them on the internet to ask if the word actually means anything, no one ever answers. I saw a "Dorosh Rug" on ebay once (that commanded a hefty sum, incidentally), but it gave no clue that it was a word, or a name, or what.