Photography Mission: Urban Terrain In CM

Guest Michael emrys

BTW, great pics, David. It hadn't really struck home what good work can be done with digital cameras now. What I had read in the magazines sounded pretty discouraging. Yours seems to have good resolution, nice range of color and contrast, etc. Did you do any work on them (as in Photoshop) before posting, or are they pretty straight? You are using a Nikon, you say?

Michael

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'd thought too much about what professional photographers say, I would never have bought a digital camera. You can still get low-resolution cameras, but mine does 2048x1536, which is acceptable for professional purposes, and as far as I'm concerned it's brilliant. And of course, being a Nikon, the pictures are very sharp and look great.

Aside from resizing, and brightening one or two where I'd messed up the exposure, the pictures are unchanged (if I'd posted them full-size you'd be downloading for a week and scrolling for another one).

In terms of composition, I wasn't trying to take nice photos, I was only concerned with capturing the subjects which were relevant to my study. It's actually a good way to take photographs, because you just see something and take a snap, instead of spending ages looking for a nice composition and then either deciding against it or being disappointed with the results. I think cameras are best used for a purpose like this – artistic shots are nice, but what can you use them for?

I've been thinking about taking a few shots of churches. I've hesitated a bit, as I've been unsure whether British churches bear any resemblance to continental churches – but aside from the suggestion of Norman churches being similar to those in CM (square rather than cross-shaped), and thus different from the type I'm used to, I think they're relatively interchangeable. European churches are certainly very different from the type Americans are used to.

We have an ancient church here in Linlithgow next to the Palace (which the English made a good effort to burn down a few hundred years ago), and both are fascinating and very impressive. Of course, I don't want to get into too much detail, as I doubt BTS are going to spend much time modelling super-accurate buildings for us to blow up. =)

David