(Fairly) new Finnish War movie

They showed it on Swedish telly a few nights ago, I would think the English title would be "Ambush". It is not a new "Winter War" or "Unknown soldier" but more of a love story in the middle of war (The continuation war). It does have several fight scenes AND (more importantly CM wise) a lot of (to me) authentic-looking equipment, uniforms and insignia. Tommi or tero will probably be able to tell you what is right and what is wrong there. The movie is supposed to take place in Far Karelia but I do not know whether it was shot there.

Story is pretty basic, platoon is sent behind enemy lines (on bicycles no less) on recon, people die, they try to get back.

Script was written by the same author who wrote "A Winter War".

Acting is OK, photo beautiful, battle scenes are intense and old school. It also contains some nudity (male and female). Deal with it.

I suggest watching it, and if you are planning on making Finnish uniform mods, buying it.

Original title: Rukajärven tie

Read more: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0162625

Download trailer here: http://us.imdb.com/Trailers?0162625

If it has been posted before I haven't read it so I won't apologize.

------------------

Johan

"The succesful execution of a well devised plan often looks like luck to saps."

Dashiell Hammett

The only fault in the hardware department is the presence of Soviet PPSh submachinegun in the inventory. It is debatable any had been captured at that stage of the war. It is not totally wrong but it is a bit iffy. Later in the war it was commomn to have both the Suomi SMG and PPSh in the squad.

The story is true to life. The battle in the end is dramatized and it did not happen in real life but it is realistic. The love story is an add-on to make it a movie for the couples.

In CM terms the use of bicycles is a no-no and sending troops far behind enemy lines in that fashion is deemed gamey recon. Both issues have been debated before on this board. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by tero (edited 01-10-2001).]

tero wrote:

The story is true to life.

With very liberal values of "true". I've posted a more-depth analysis earlier, a couple of times, in fact. Right now I don't have time to search for the threads, but in short:

Yes, in the early July 1941 two platoons were sent to go round Lake Lieksajärvi (just below the 64th latitude line and about 30 km from Finnish border) in command of vänr. Perttuli.

Several scenes in the movie are taken from events that happened during this mission, but most scenes are fictional.

In CM terms the use of bicycles is a no-no and sending troops far behind enemy lines in that fashion is deemed gamey recon.

There's a little difference there. In the real life, they sent almost 70 men on the mission. A lot of them were armed with SMGs so they had enough firepower to defend themselves given that they didn't walk straight into an ambush in open terrain. (To tell the truth, they cycled straight into an ambush but poor accuracy of Soviet troops saved them, the unit had only one casualty during the whole mission).

- Tommi

>With very liberal values of "true".

I compared to the Hollywood rendition of the Truth biggrin.gif

>To tell the truth, they cycled straight into an ambush but poor accuracy of Soviet troops saved them, the unit had only one casualty during the whole mission.

IIRC there were a couple of ambushes. One went sour because the Soviet troops first waited for the main body to cross the river and then did not dare to open fire because there were many Finn already across. The other went bad because most of the fire was concentrated on that one man (he might have been the one who crawled out and was rescued, I forget).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tero:

The story is true to life. The battle in the end is dramatized and it did not happen in real life but it is realistic. The love story is an add-on to make it a movie for the couples.

In CM terms the use of bicycles is a no-no and sending troops far behind enemy lines in that fashion is deemed gamey recon. Both issues have been debated before on this board. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by tero (edited 01-10-2001).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That movie was also aired in Finnish TV not too long ago (around New Year if I remember correctly). Only thing that actually really bothered me about it was the bombardment before the final attack, what were they shooting there? Gasoline? smile.gif

Another thing that caught my attention was those bicycles. They were exactly the same model we used back in the army! On the other hand, why would have they changed model that works? In good road conditions and if maintained properly they were regular greased lightnings smile.gif

-- MS. --

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tss:

I've posted a more-depth analysis earlier, a couple of times, in fact... - Tommi<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, I made a search and had missed those posts. Thanks for the info and I might look into the Antti Tuuri novel you mentioned. I was a bit confused when I saw the movie as I had seen Tuuri's name as a script writer but the movie felt very different from Winter War. Too bad that they didn't stay closer to his original script, you remarked that it had been a little hollywoodized and I agree.

The portrait of the platoon psychopath is very good though.

Anyway, no harm in promoting this film one more time.

Johan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mika:

Only thing that actually really bothered me about it was the bombardment before the final attack, what were they shooting there? Gasoline? smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. There haven't been good realistic explosions in finnish films since the original Unknown Soldier.

But they used real AT-mines in that one, and it's a major no-no nowadays. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

Yep. There haven't been good realistic explosions in finnish films since the original Unknown Soldier.

But they used real AT-mines in that one, and it's a major no-no nowadays. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I might aswell admit I have not been *that* close to big explosions, but the ones in Talvisota (Winter War) seemed fairly well done/realistic to me.

I probably had my hopes set too high, but I was a little disappointed at Rukajärven Tie.