Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

128mm PAK

I was curious if this weapon would be included in CM2. I'm not referring to the Jagdtiger, but to an AT gun, like the 88mm ATG.

I don't have any numbers available, and I'm guessing that the numbers of such 128mm ATGs were low, but perhaps they should be included.

Any comments or info would be appreciated. thanks smile.gif

I would like to see it. I dont know of how many were actually made for field use though.

Definitly another etremely powerful AT/Inf killer. That was my favorite thing about using a JagdTiger, its ability to really route those infantry. 128mm pack a powerful He, kind like a moveable pillbox

[This message has been edited by Freak (edited 03-11-2001).]

The item you are asking about is the 128mm PAK 80. 150 of them were built, most in 1944, 30 of them in 1945. That compares to 77 Jadgtigers built all told, by the way. For both together, they Germans produced 27,000 rounds of AP and 86,000 rounds of HE. That is about 500 rounds per gun, roughly 1/4 AP and 3/4 HE.

Incidentally, 128mm is just 5 inches. The German navy used a number of 5 inch gun mounts. Far more 128mm = 5 inch FLAK were built for the Luftwaffe - 1130 of them all told, most of them in 1943 and 1944. These were not the same item, though, only about half the length of the PAK version.

2 of these earlier and shorter FLAK guns, were even mounted on SP chassis to work as tank destroyers, but the idea was not followed up. Not enough ammo and low ROF were probably the reasons, making the 88mm a better bet.

I am not sure whether those or the naval guns were the basis for the later heavy PAK idea. Incidentally, the Allied fleets carried hundreds of 5" guns, most of them duel-purpose AA or for ground targets, which are similar to the German 128mm FLAK. The 5 inch rockets being fired by the Typhoons and Thunderbolts are also the same caliber.