Interface mod idea!

To you interface modders out there! How restricted are you in creating new interface mods? Do you need to place every bit of infor in the exact same place as the original? or can you play around with more than the looks?

I was just thinking how nice it would bee if we could get the name of the unit on top of the ordres list. That way it could read something like "Order Cpt. Reeves to;" 'move', 'run', 'hide', etc. For squads it would be something like "order Sgt. Wells' men to:" you get the idea!

I think this will make issuing orders more personal and could make some players thinkt twice when issuing certain orders. I also think it will make it easier to remember the units name and distinguish between them thus making the game more personal and immersive.

Question is...is it possible? If not maybe this is an idea for CM2? Thoughts anyone?

Bernhard

------------------

Visit http://home.c2i.net/bebenum for som tips on(flight)sim immersion hardware :)

Guest Rob/1

The problem with the names on the order menu top is that it is the same for all units. Only the buttons desplayed changes with diffrant types of units...as far as I know. Correct me if I am wrong here guys. You can't move where thing show up there are hard coaded whre they are. In other words Yes they must be in the same place as the original.

Originally posted by bebbetufs:

To you interface modders out there! How restricted are you in creating new interface mods? Do you need to place every bit of infor in the exact same place as the original? or can you play around with more than the looks?

Pretty restricted.

Yes.

The wording of the orders, font, design aspects... that's about it.

I was just thinking how nice it would bee if we could get the name of the unit on top of the ordres list. That way it could read something like "Order Cpt. Reeves to;" 'move', 'run', 'hide', etc. For squads it would be something like "order Sgt. Wells' men to:" you get the idea!

Yeah, I get the idea, and I like it. Unfortunately it can't be done with CM as it stands now. The Orders Menu is always the same .bmp, it would have to be made 'modifiable' depending on which unit was selected, for your idea to work.

I think this will make issuing orders more personal and could make some players thinkt twice when issuing certain orders. I also think it will make it easier to remember the units name and distinguish between them thus making the game more personal and immersive.

Yep. I agree with all that.

Question is...is it possible? If not maybe this is an idea for CM2? Thoughts anyone?

Nope, not with CM.

Yep.

Probably a pain in the butt to program, and of course that would be taking away from the time to program the realistic stuff in, and it's only the one guy programming... Don't get me wrong, I like the idea a lot for the immersion and personalization factors you mentioned. But... it's only one guy programming it...

------------------

DeanCo--

CM interface mods: http://mapage.cybercable.fr/deanco/

so many games...so little time