Quick Battles??

I am not exactly new to CM but, I just recently dicovered the beautiful world of the quick battle. I want to know though..I always, being the patriot I am, play the allied side and the germans are always dug in when I attack of course. I treid having them attck me but when I finished my choices and expected to start my game with dug in units they were lined up along the baseline of the screen like normal?? Can I get my guys set up as if I was the computer or not?? This may also seem like the most stupid question ever but, I gotta ask...

The first "turn" of the game is the set up phase, not yet the movement phase. There is an outlined colored-border box on the map. You can pick up your units and reposition them anywhere inside that box - by clicking on them to select, then selecting a new location and hitting "P". This happens before the game begins. You can also rotate the units, hide them, and split squads.

Once you have positioned everyone, the first time you hit "go" you will simply transition to the first game turn. You can then give your first orders. The first turn itself is not processes until the -2nd- time you hit go. Attackers get to reposition at set-up too, but they get only a long, thin set-up box along their edge, while defenders can get 1/3 (probes) to 1/2 (attacks) of the map.

Between the set-up phase and the first turn, every defending gun or infantry unit not on pavement or inside a house, will dig a foxhole at its current location. They show up the moment you hit "go" the first time. A neat trick here is, if you split squads before the first turn, then at the begining have the two squad-halves move back to within around 10 yards of each other, the squads will quickly recombined - but you will have an extra set of foxholes for a fall-back position. If you integrate some positions in buildings, where you don't need foxholes, you can get more than 2 lines of defense some places too - or extra foxholes for HQs and teams, etc.

I hope this helps. Also see page 31 of the manual, explaining all the details of the set-up phase.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JasonC:

The first "turn" of the game is the set up phase, not yet the movement phase. There is an outlined colored-border box on the map. You can pick up your units and reposition them anywhere inside that box - by clicking on them to select, then selecting a new location and hitting "P". This happens before the game begins. You can also rotate the units, hide them, and split squads.

Once you have positioned everyone, the first time you hit "go" you will simply transition to the first game turn. You can then give your first orders. The first turn itself is not processes until the -2nd- time you hit go. Attackers get to reposition at set-up too, but they get only a long, thin set-up box along their edge, while defenders can get 1/3 (probes) to 1/2 (attacks) of the map.

Between the set-up phase and the first turn, every defending gun or infantry unit not on pavement or inside a house, will dig a foxhole at its current location. They show up the moment you hit "go" the first time. A neat trick here is, if you split squads before the first turn, then at the begining have the two squad-halves move back to within around 10 yards of each other, the squads will quickly recombined - but you will have an extra set of foxholes for a fall-back position. If you integrate some positions in buildings, where you don't need foxholes, you can get more than 2 lines of defense some places too - or extra foxholes for HQs and teams, etc.

I hope this helps. Also see page 31 of the manual, explaining all the details of the set-up phase.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Jason...I must have read the book 10 times but never saw that....much obliged