Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Some surprises in QB's..

I've just spent the last day sampling the delights of QB. Quite a few in actual fact. I've come across a few things that surprised me.

Firstly, for the overall cost of the King Tiger should I rate it? Everytime I have one I loose it early on. Bad tactics spring to mind.. I lost this one to a 76mm AT gun, (that I couldn't even spot) from about 350m. Second shot. First one bounced off, second shot penetrated the turret. I've not had much luck with them.

Secondly, I know the pros with the Hetzer, but I lost two in exactly the same way in the same battle. From a 81mm mortar. The shells presumably penetrating top armour as both exploded. Sure enough the mortar was credited with two hetzer kills. I know the debate over mortar effectiveness has been done to death but this surprised me I have to say.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phil stanbridge:

Secondly, I know the pros with the Hetzer, but I lost two in exactly the same way in the same battle. From a 81mm mortar. The shells presumably penetrating top armour as both exploded. Sure enough the mortar was credited with two hetzer kills. I know the debate over mortar effectiveness has been done to death but this surprised me I have to say. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once discovered you have to keep AFVs rolling, otherwise you'll lose anything less than a Tiger I if OPFOR has brought 3" or 81mm mortars to the party. That is realistic. There was an issue with whether the AI should perceive the threat posed by these mortars if fire starts during a turn, and there were some tweaks, but I don't know what happened. Calling arty on pesky German TDs was a Real Life tactic employed by at least UK tankers.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phil stanbridge:

Just took me back to see both my TD's get it from this single mortar. I haven't seen that before. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In *snip* I saw one 3" mortar take out two Panzer IV and immobilise a third in two turns. Tough on my opponent.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Do you think it is luck as much as anything else that attributes to this though?

For instance, a tank crew spotted this mortar and prepared to fire. In the mean time the mortar fired. The round missed. The tank then went on to destroy the mortar and the crew in one shot. They were placed in a similar position as the one that destroyed both Hetzers. Could their experience have anything to do with it?