Just posted WWI - Ypres Salient Battle.

Greetings all!

I just posted a World War One battle titled WWI - Ypres Salient to the Scenario Depot. Should be downloadable within 24 hours.

This scenario has special meaning for me, for in it I attempt to replicate my Grandfather's experience one night in August, 1916.

Company Sergeant-Major Charles S. Cameron of the 16th Canadian Scottish Battalion, in charge of ten bombers (as grenade throwers were called back then), lay in the front line below Hill 60 in the Ypres Salient waiting for a mine to be detonated at 10:00 beneath the Germans atop the hill.

Alas, the sappers dug short, and the mine exploded in No Man's Land, sending up "junks as big as pianos". Most of the attack party were buried. A few were dug out alive, most were dead.

Meanwhile, my Grandfather and three other survivors charged into the crater and held it against German counterattacks all night long till relieved in the morning.

So I just spent ten hours creating this scenario in honour of his memory and that of all the men who fought with him.

Don't know if it will play well, I'd sure be interested in feedback.

One thing to note. I experimented with various sorts of trenches, but they all turned out looking like sunken roads, way too big.

Then an idea came to me. Why not just use a single line of rubble to approximate a trench? It looks more or less like disturbed earth, and if the unit is placed in the centre of the tile, provides cover equivalent to being behind something. The unit is threatened only if at the edge of the rubble tile, which approximates poking your head out of a trench.

Using rubble makes it very easy to lay out a complex pattern of trenches realistic enough to be more or less credible. And more importantly, doesn't cost any points like the trenches in CMBB.

And rubble also makes for great shell holes.

Feel free to check it out once it's uploaded.

And please, feel free to check out my other battles, as well as the 40 plus maps I've posted.

I am especially pleased with the way my Obsersalzberg, Operation Felix (Gibraltar, Wolfsschanze (Wolf's Lair) and Berlin Reich-chancellery turned out.

Just a CMBO playing fool taking full advantage of a vacation. Cheers!