Operations vs Scenarios some help

I've just started playing the full version of CM and the manual suggests that when playing an operation the next battle will start automatically and shift the front lines and go back to a Set-up phase, etc.

However, I played the Stolberg scenario and never got any of the battles beyond the first. On turn 15 I recieved an after action report that looked exactly like a scenario report which told me I had achieved Total Victory and took me back out to the menu.

Did I miss something? Or did I somehow manage to win an operation that was supposed to take 6 battles and several reinforcements with a overwhelming victory in the first battle so that the remaining battles were never played?

Thanks

That was a senerio not a operation. Those are found UNDER the senerio tab in the selecting a campaign deal.. The game comes with like 5 or 6 i think but there are a few VERY nice ones at differnt sites that players put together. Hope this helps some

Blades

Hey guys, thanks for the response but Stolberg *is* an Operation...

Stolber-Punching a Hole is described as "6 battles large"

The mission briefing comes complete with expected reinforcements for battle 3 and 5.

My question is I never got past battle 1. After turn 15 of 15 on the first battle I got an AAR that said "Total Victory".

Does this mean that I missed something about how to set this up...or does it mean I did so phenomenally well in the first battle, that the entire operation ended day one and I never needed the other 5 days.

If so the Op was WAY too easy. There were only 2 points in the game that I thought I might be in trouble.

Indeed, it is possible that you have done so well that the operation has been finished after the first battle. This usually happens when you push the enemy "off map" - meaning that you bring your troops in force close to the opposing map edge. The computer will then try to adjust the battle map window, will find that there is really not enough space for the enemy anymore, and will grant you with (usually a total) victory.

So, you are either the new Monty and I never want to play H2H against you wink.gif or the operation needs to get another look by the designer...

------------------

"An hour has 60 minutes, each minute in action has a thousand dangers."

- Karl-Heinz Gauch, CO 1st Panzerspähkompanie, 12th SS Panzerdivision

Thanks Moon, I wasn't sure if thats what it was programed to do or not. I had indeed pushed him off map. He had a grand total of 4 units left. 3 were Crew fleeing from abandoned bunkers who were pinned down by vehicular machine guns, and 1 was a rifle squad with 4 men left whom I captured.

Originally posted by Moon:

So, you are either the new Monty and I never want to play H2H against you wink.gif or the operation needs to get another look by the designer...

Well, I highly doubt I'm that good, I haven't played against a human yet and this is my first experience with this scale of combat, so I'm learning as I go (some of the "how to use tanks" articles over at the HQ proved quite useful)

I did get a couple of lucky breaks early on.

There were a number of pill boxes but most had machine guns, the one pill box with an AT gun that would have been in a position to restrict my mobility was taken out on turn two with a lucky slit penetration. I probably would have been stuck for awhile on that obstacle.

Danger point number one came when a Panzer IV showed up, took a beautiful positon screened on two sides by trees so I couldn't get a shot at him, and proceeded to fire cross map at some infantry. Had to pull them back or I would have lost a whole platoon. I rushed him with 3 Shermans a Stuart and a Greyhound in order to get a shot around his trees. The Stuart right away got a lucky track hit which imobilized him and left him broadside to my Shermans.

A third good break occured when second Panzer moved right into the line of fire of the Shermans I had rushed and died from a side turret hit before getting a shot off.

The second danger moment came when the town had more troops in it than I expected (the AI did a good job of not opening fire until I had gotten real close) and my Arty Spotter was WAY late getting me my smoke rounds (the 2 minute counter didn't start counting down for 2 rounds)

Even with those lucky breaks, however, I don't see the Op needing 6 battles or 2 batches of reinforcements to finish. Probably more typically 2-3.

The scenario was by Wild Bill Wilder. Is it SOP to email the designer with play experiences such as this?