Only 256 units/side??

We in the CMMC have discovered to our dismay that the CM engine has a limit of 256 units per side on the battlefield. Not normally a problem in QB's, but definately one with battles that involve multiple regiments of troops.

Hopefully this will be fixed in CMBB. It should be as simply as changing a variable type, since the engine can take all the time it needs to do the calculations.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

I doubt BTS simply made the limit just because. If the engine could handle however more units, I think they would have placed no restriction on size.

Perhaps they found out it would make the game freeze up (had that happen to me with a 5000 point battle on a medium computer)?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here...it was an 8000 pt. ME scenario (South of Sword). It froze just as I finished watching a (great for me) movie- doh! granted, i only have a celeron/566 w/ 2MB VRAM.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by killmore:

256 is a magic number. That is the maximum number you can store in 1 byte of memory.

So if BTS allocated only 1 byte of memory for number of units then this is it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know that, and that's what I was thinking. Simply allocating more memory would do it. If it's an engine limitation thing than that's different.

I think the freezes/lockups are caused by the fact that displaying 1500 of those little infantry dudes eats up alot of vram/cpu power.

In any case, 360+ per side is good.