Pointe du Hoc SSM and scenario.

It's almost finished and looks best with Magua's Normandy Mod. Since I've got a few unmodded pics on the 'scenarios' forum, I figured I'd toss a few up that showed it near completion. They're mediumish in size so be patient:

ranger1-or.jpg

ranger2-or.jpg

ranger3-or.jpg

The mod is scenario specific and alters the hedge/bocage bmp, the rough bmp, and three or four open ground tiles.

The scenario is designed for SINGLE PLAYER play, Allied only. It covers Colonel James E. Rudder's 2nd Ranger's assault on the gun casements atop the sheer cliffs of Pointe du Hoc on D-Day. I've tried to incorporate a number of historic events although it's important to note that the timeframe of the mission is "bathtubbed" at a factor of about 1 to 3 (if you've got an hour, Rudder historically had three).

Covered are:

* The initial, timed, naval shelling by the USS Texas and USS Satterlee to cover the assault.

* The Rangers slight lateness due to strong easterly tides and landmark ID mistakes. This resulted in a small time disparity between the initial barrage's end and the assault groups landfall.

* The emergence of German defenders from bunkers after the initial barrage and throughout the fight. As the battle progressed, pockets of Germans would pop-up from heretofore unseen cubby holes, often amongst or behind the Americans.

* The timely arrival of our British mates in the HMS Talybont to provide essential fire support.

* The cliff face assault on ropes. Nowhere to go but up or down. Some pretty nifty, grenade flinging, beach to cliff firefights often ensue.

* A fairly accurate Axis defense presence including AA guns and their placement, mine field dispersements, placements of the empty gun casements, troop strength and the coalescence of a counterattack from the south.

* The Allies SUPERB recon and it's one ENORMOUS flaw. The guns were gone.

* A mission schedule that's tough to follow, but if adhered to, allows a repeatable chance of the historic outcome.

* History put 225 of Rudder's men on the beach, I've given you 224. Most weapon types including carbines, SMG's, rifles, BAR's, and satchel charges are represented in their correct numbers (as closely as I've been able to discern anyway. I'd put the margin of error at +or- 7 or 8 per).

Innaccuracies include:

* Actual number of rounds fired by the capital ships present. They fired a helluva lot more, actually.

* # of boats. There's more than twice the number of boats in CM as were actually present, but the Rangers were in LCA's with greater passenger capacity than the CM assault boat.

* # of German MG's on the cliff face is much smaller than it was in reality. Again the reason is the differences between LCA's and assault boats. The LCA could sponge a lot more fire than the pathetic CM assault boat.

Some of the MG roles have been filled by sharpshooters.

* Paratroopers have been used to simulate the Ranger teams. Although Rangers were Rifle 44 pattern, the use of paratroopers got me a lot closer to the correct # of men and a more accurate weapons mix to reflect the special teams and equipment at du Hoc.

* The cliff is a little too high. sorry.

I'll get the briefings written and ship the mess off to some sites. See ya on the beach!

[ 08-26-2001: Message edited by: Clubfoot ]

Clubfoot:

Thanks for not leaving us just yet. I've been waiting anxiously for this one since your first preview pic more than a month ago. Your beach mod and cliff mod are two of the most original mods/scenarios. They are classics in my book. Thanks for your hard work.

Btw, have you created any additional scenarios for the beach mod set?

Lastly, whose German uniform is that in the second pic? DD's or Fox's?

[ 08-26-2001: Message edited by: bfamily33 ]

Ya know, I'm not really sure about that uniform. It's pretty old and resembles DD's SS uniforms (and I remember grabbing a bunch of DD's uniforms back in the day) so it's a safe bet that they're his.

Dalem,

I recall as a child being quite nonplussed by the Rangers memorial. My father, after describing in depth the perils of Rudder's men, stood with me shaking his head at that silly pillar of rock. The old man was upset for his own reasons (a 2 tour vet of "the teams" in 'nam, he gets predictably weepy at war memorials) but I remember desiring something a little more representative. Of course, this was probably just my child's mind desiring some action packed, mosaic bas-relief portraying death.

It's a great tour though. I'd highly suggest a visit to the Pointe and other Omaha sights, even if you have to drag along an unappreciative 7 yr. old.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clubfoot:

It's a great tour though. I'd highly suggest a visit to the Pointe and other Omaha sights, even if you have to drag along an unappreciative 7 yr. old.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree it's a great tour (I took those myself. smile.gif

And as far as the memorial style, I don't know, it's the only war memorial I've seen with its tongue firmly in its cheek, and it seems... appropriate, somehow.

-dale