Feature for better scenarios

It seems to me it would be really cool if you could bundle mods with a scenario/operation in a neat little bundle.

So if you wanted to do a desert campaign, you can make some desert scenarios, along with new textures so that "grass" looks like "desert". The mods would load with those textures.

You could also do movie based scenarios, and change the faces of the commanders...

And of course, you could have "silly" but fun scenarios that might load kitty's hamster mods, for a "Hamster War 2000: Quest for the Couch" scenario.

A simple way to do this would be to have a field in the scenario that lists the name of the relevant "mod folder". CM would then look in that folder for graphics first, and fall back to the originals it its not there.

Pierce

Nothing prevents a player from doing this himself.

Personally I don't want to download several MBs of textures that I'm not going to use anyway. Internet connections with a slow modem and payed for by the minute doesn't encourage this.

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...

Originally posted by Pierce:

It seems to me it would be really cool if you could bundle mods with a scenario/operation in a neat little bundle.................

Good idea!

You been reading my mail?

In the pipeline ia a collaboration of semi historical Battles/Operations from moi and modded vehs from Marco. smile.gif

DG

------------------

Remember:

Always end your lay in elevation.

CM Outpost

Originally posted by Clubfoot:

The Desert Fox-Desert Rats mod will be out soon and will even include some scenario specific graphics and sounds as you suggest. Keep an eye out!

I'm looking forward to this. smile.gif

But I don't want to download those same textures again for every new desert scenario that will be created later on...

Cheers

Olle

I have no doubt that people are blending mods with scenarios, my suggestion is just a request from BTS to support doing this sort of mod switches automagically, by building in a mini-mod manager. Right now, people will have to move files in/out of directories in order to swap out tiles. Annoying to do for each scenario.

This way, if you have 10 PBEM games going, 5 in "Desert Fox" scenarios, 4 in "Seigfried Line" scenarios, 1 in a "D-Day" scenario, you wouldn't have to switch around.

They kind of did this already for summer vs. Winter, I was just thinking that if they stored a directory name in the scenario that the mod would load automatically...

Here are some examples of fun things you could do

1. Have an operation, where the tanks/soldiers gradually look more and more weathered/beat up as you progress from battle to battle.

2. Change the bridge texture to match some actual historical bridge, and have a scenario based on a famous bridge.

3. Three words: Patton, Rommel, Africa

For those of you who don't want to download the requiste textures you wouldn't have to! It's just the graphics. The desert scenarios will just look funny with grass..

Really, this is a feature that BTS could use in CM2 and beyond too. .. Each battle could have a set of building textures unique to that region... (In Moscow, the churches have onions on top...) So for CM1, I would see there would just be a single string of where to look "first" for textures. For CM2, there's a string for trees, a string for buildings, a string for uniforms, etc.