New MOD: narrow targeting/movement lines

Well deanco, since I mentioned you before, it goes without saying I'm glad to see you join in....I'm afraid I didn't follow what you just described, but I think I'd rather just kinda start from the beginning.

To reiterate a previous post of mine, we have these visual cues: color, width, solid/broken (and maybe others?). We need to come up with a clever mapping of those cues onto all the different line types that CM has.

You say you aren't fond of the thin lines -- what if they were applied more judiciously, such as just for C&C? (And we could use dashed lines for units that are out of C&C....)

I've always felt that there just too many line colors in CM, and that was reinforced by taking a peek at 2020.bmp. smile.gif That's why I'm so excited by this discovery.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thin lines look great at ground level! It really reduces the clutter. The *only* problem I see is when you're looking from way up (view 5 or 6?). I'm currently playing a QB on a wide map and the only way I can trace my arty targetting is from way up. The lines are quite hard to see. IIRC they were easier to see with the wide lines. But this is a minor issue.

I guess I either have to move my spotters closer or stop playing wide maps wink.gif

I just (at 16:30, CET) tried to download this mod, but the zip-file couldn't be found. frown.gif

Downloaded a couple of other files without problems...

Edit:

The unsuccessful try was from Deanco's site. The link at the first page in this thread works fine...

Cheers

Olle

[This message has been edited by Olle Petersson (edited 02-27-2001).]

Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

I just (at 16:30, CET) tried to download this mod, but the zip-file couldn't be found. frown.gif

Downloaded a couple of other files without problems...

Edit:

The unsuccessful try was from Deanco's site. The link at the first page in this thread works fine...

Cheers

Olle

[This message has been edited by Olle Petersson (edited 02-27-2001).]

The link has been fixed. Olle, thanks for the heads up. The rest of you, sorry for the inconvience.

------------------

DeanCo--

CM interface mods: http://mapage.cybercable.fr/deanco/

so many games...so little time

Guest Michael emrys

Originally posted by deanco:

What do y'all think?

I dunno, deanco. It reduces the clutter somewhat, but I'm thinking it introduces new opportunities for confusion. I'm finding it definitely non-trivial to try to figure out what that Sherman is doing on all points of its travel. And keeping the movement paths of all the units sorted out looks pretty tricky to me.

Of course, all that could just be my problem.

smile.gif

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 02-27-2001).]

Yeah... I played a game with it last night and there is a real problem when a lot of units end up in the same place. Bigger than 1000 points and I think this mod would become a nightmare.

I will keep it on my machine for a while anyway and see what I think. The screen doesn't do it justice because in the game you are much more concentrated than when you look at a screen. What looks like a mess in the pic is a lot of times more clear when you're actually playing.

Usually I will get to a point where I just say, 'no'. I'm not there with this mod yet, but pretty close.

------------------

DeanCo--

CM interface mods: http://mapage.cybercable.fr/deanco/

so many games...so little time

• 4 weeks later...