Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

War crimes and a coupla' questions

Enemy (AI) destroys a Wasp. One crewman survives, but being near a German squad he has no option but to surrender.

A few turns later I notice the guy (who is now only a captured "infantry?" unit to my troops) kind of lonely in a wheatfield. Having a Bren carrier to spare, I send it to try to retrieve the man. He keeps running away from his liberators like he turned kraut or something, and nearby is an enemy gun crew which I presume broken from the way they run (my carrier keeps pounding them every turn). Finally, I manage to reach the prisoner real close (like 1 meter away) I think I've rescued him, but the enemy crew all of a sudden turns and runs towards my units, callously shoots the poor guy dead (his status is still "captured" at that moment), and then resumes its cowardly flight from my carrier's MG! :mad:

Question #1: Can prisoners be rescued? I've seen enemy units (mainly HQs) which had surrendered all of a sudden shooting me in the back, but, had my effort described above any chance of freeing the man?

Question #2 (unrelated): Do crews (surviving from guns or vehicles) use grenades? I've tried to make them engage in CC with enemy vehicles. Do they have any chance?

Question #3: I've tried to use (empty) mortar units to close in with some enemy unit (yeah, I'm a stinker tongue.gif ) to see if at least they will engage in hand to hand combat, but they just ignore the enemy and stay there dumbfaced. They don't even seem to shoot pistols. Do mortar units engage in close combat at all?