Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

What is the difference between a Hi res bmp mod and Low res bmp mod?

Good question, one that mystified me at first too.

Lo-res are the ones that come with the game.

Hi-res are modified by people by blowing them up. They increase them by 200 or more percent so that they can "draw" extra details in. The bitmaps that come with the game (also called "skins") are stretched by the computer when applied to the models of the tanks, men, etc.

Hi-res bmps look better - but they make the computer work harder, and on slower machines or lo end video cards, the difference is quite noticable.

Michael is correct. You see by increasing the size of the bmp by 200%, it effectively creates a 4x4 pixel from each pixel in the original bmp. This allows the artist to paint in the details better.

For a prime example of this, check out Marco Bergman's Shermans. BUT NOT JUST QUITE YET. Marco is in the process of releasing a TOTAL SHERMAN PACK that will give HI-RES treatment to every Sherman in the game including the British versions. These you will surely and truely want for the stock Sherman textures sucked pretty bad. I am a "beta tester" for these babies and Marco sends me an update everynow and then containing his latest modifications. Got one today matter of fact.

You guys are gonna love this new pack, he's added several new little improvements over his older packs. One improvement has been the addition of rivet or bolt holes along the bottom edge of the hull side to where the tread "fender" should go.

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 02-13-2001).]