KV Tank With Three Turrets-Fact or Fiction?

Zakalwe wrote:

So it's SMK, then?

Yup.

However, this picture was often cited to represent a T-35, so I was a bit confused.

Yes, even some new sources claim that.

He said that he was pretty sure there were no T-35s in action (I expressly asked, since I was an avid ASL player at the time), he guessed that most of the infantrymen were confusing T-28s with their larger cousins;

As I've said earlier, during the Winter War Finnish infantrymen generally classified tanks in rough equivalence classes (hey, I've just listened to category thory for two hours so you will have to suffer too) based on their size:

- Tiny (T-37 and its ilk, small tankettes)

- Small (T-26, BT)

- Large (T-28)

- Very large (the experimental vehicles)

Those who vere knowledgeable in tank designs could probably name the "small" tanks, though they would call them Vickers (T-26) and Christie (BT), based on the original models.

The Continuation war added three more equivalence classes:

- "Sotka" (T-34)

- "Klimi" (everything heavy except T-28 and T-34).

- Assault gun (everything without a turret)

In particular, all heavy tanks were generally identified as KV-tanks, no matter what their actual type was. Many of the KVs that were reported in summer '44 were actually IS-IIs or lend-lease Churchills.

All light tanks got identified as "Vickers" tanks even in summer '44. For example, on 9 June five Red Army tanks were knocked out during recon probes and they all were recorded as T-26s. However, it seems probable that they were actually T-70s or other late-war recon tanks.

- Tommi

With all the (undeserved IMHO) bitching about the tank AI with one turret, anyone care to guess how that AI will do with more than one?

"I gave a Mk III a full broadside and ... "

smile.gif

------------------

Check out http://www.geocities.com/funfacts2001/ or

http://hyperion.spaceports.com/~funfacts/ or

http://www.britwar.co.uk/members/FunFacts/ for military documents written during WWII.

IIRC, BTS said that there would be NO multi turreted tanks in CM2 - East Front. The engine just does not support them.

No T-28, T-35, SMK, M3 Grant/Lee

It's a bummer, I really wanted to see a Grant/Lee and T-35.

I may be wrong, but that's what I remember reading.

Scott Karch

Guest Mike the bike

Originally posted by karch:

IIRC, BTS said that there would be NO multi turreted tanks in CM2 - East Front. The engine just does not support them.

I hope you are wrong - not beign a computer geek what would be the enhancements needed given that a singe vehicle can already contain 2 or more weapons?? Eg main gun, bow mg, co-axial mg, AAmg?

Also KV and IS series tanks had rear-turret Mg's - I presume they'll be modeled?

Originally posted by karch:

It's a bummer, I really wanted to see a Grant/Lee and T-35.

I may be wrong, but that's what I remember reading.

Scott Karch

IIRC, the word was that T-35 won't probably be in the game due to the difficulty of modelling three gun turrets with separate fields of fire. As the tank was never very common, I can easily live with this decision.

I think it will be much easier to model T-28, as the weapons in the front turrets are MGs. Also, T-28 was a very common tank in the early stages of the war, so it most certainly should be included.