Engineer options during the game

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks Tommi for more great examples. Again, I think people have the misconception that you can toss a couple of pounds of explosives on a bridge and have it fall into the water. I blame Hollywood for that smile.gif

There are even cases where DAYS of preparation, and TONS of explosives, were used and still the bridge remained standing after the big boom smile.gif Remagen is probably the best known example of this, but there are a decent number of smaller examples I have read about.

Steve

Originally posted by tss:

I took my copy of "Upseerin käsikirja", 1940 ("Officer's handbook") with me to work today. Here are some figures about bridge demolition:

A) Iron bridges:

- complete destruction: 800-1200 kg explosives, 7 sapper squads (63 men), 8 hours (2-3 days if the charges are emplaced).

- breaking the span at two places: 200-300 kg, 3 squads (27 men), 8 hours.

B) Reinforced concrete arched bridge (50-100m span):

- complete destruction: 1000-1500 kg, 7 squads, 8-16 hours

- breaking at one point: 200-400 kg, 2 squads (18 men), 4 hours

Figures for 10-20m are similar but less explosives are needed.

C) Reinforced concrete girder bridge (10-20m span):

- complete destruction: 400-800kg, 3 squads, 8 hours.

- breaking at one point: 100-150kg, 2 squads, 2 hours.

D) Stone bridge (2-15m span):

- complete destruction: 100-400 kg, 3 squads, 8 hours

- breaking the arch: 50-100 kg, 1 squad, 4 hours.

E) Wooden bridge (15-50m span):

- destruction of both abutments and the span: 200-400 kg, 3 squads, 8 hours

- breaking the span: 30-80 kg, 1 squad, 2-4 hours

Shorter wooden bridges need less explosives but same time.

- Tommi

After quick glance down to formulas how to calculate right size of charges we used it would seem that those are quite heavy loads? I mean the biggest amount (1200kg's), thats about 4 times the amount one pioneer platoon has with it during the wartime. On the other hand, noting the year the book you are referring to was printed methods might have not been all that sophisticated smile.gif

Also the required manpower seems to be bit high like the amount of time used? Of course, I must agree on one thing atleast. It's complete destruction smile.gif

-- MS. --

Mika wrote:

After quick glance down to formulas how to calculate right size of charges we used it would seem that those are quite heavy loads?

Possibly, the book doesn't specify the type of the explosives and it emphasises that the values are estimates.

Also the required manpower seems to be bit high like the amount of time used?

I believe that the manpower figure includes cart-drivers and other transport personnel, also. The book is not an engineer's manual but aimed mostly for infantry platoon and company commanders so it gives only a broad overview on more specialized subjects.

- Tommi

Originally posted by Big Time Software:

3. Mouseholing, as described above.

So how does CM stack up? Pretty well I think. They can do all but #3, which is currently not possible with our abstract building system. We intend on fixing this for CM2.

Woohoo! Now I can do my victory dance. But tell me, Steve, will those mouseholes be large enough for Gerbiljäger?

------------------

Ethan

-----------

"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech." -- Dr. Kathleen Dixon, Director of Women's Studies, Bowling Green State University

Guest Mikey D

One pioneer use might be if CM could let you place pioneers on a bridge at startup, charges in place. Let's say, the platoon leader has to be within a certain distance from the bridge to set it off (100 feet of wire to the plunger?) It'd take 10(?) turns for the demolition to happen, all the while the pioneers are subject to attack. Killing the platoon leader stops the demolition?

That'd be very handy for a 'Bridge at Remagen' or a 'Battle of the Bulge' scenario, don'tcha think?