Question about Recoilless Rifles

I was trained on a 90mm recoilless rifle mounted on a Hagglunds fully tracked, Bv2061 in the Swedish army. It has now been replaced by a TOW system mounted on the same vehicle but was considered a viable system until the early nineties. It fired a 90mm HEAT round that is unable to defeat the more modern types of armour. The system is based on the premise that the vehicle will be in ambush position (the Bv206 series can get anywhere, and I do mean anywhere) completely behind cover while the gun and gunner is raised up above cover. This presents an extremely small target for the enemy to detect and in theory allows the gunner to fire two-three shots (in 20 secs, we once managed 10 shots in 60 secs but no one was shooting at us.) before moving to another position. Reasonable range would be around 700-800 meters as I don't recall engaging targets further away but I am unable to find the data now. Could be much longer. Safety distance behind the gun in peacetime 70 meters. Otherwise 20 meters. It goes off with a very loud bang (no woosch as might be believed).

I think it was an early sixties design but am unsure. Regulation said to fire a 7.62mm round from a carbine mounted on the gun to range the gun but we seldom bothered with that since it would mean getting killed without even fireing the big gun. Just an example of how regulations can be ignored and overrruled even in peacetime.

Hope this was of some interest.

As for the semantics debate:

In Swedish the Carl-Gustaf is named Grenade Rifle (granatgevär) while the 90mm RR I was blabbing about above is named a Tank Defense Cannon/Gun (pansarvärnskanon). We do not use the term Recoilless Rifle at all afaik.

Johan

The new Charlie Golf is only 8kg?! Damn, I'm glad I wasn't an infantryman, otherwise I'd be cursing and screaming after lugging its older brother over 48 klicks...

I never got to fire it, but I got to play with it in one exercise; big, _ugly_ piece of metal.