Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

This Can't Be Right. Can It?

Look at the unit data for the Sexton. Look at the penetration for the 88mm AP ammo. The penetration at 500m at 0 degrees is 76mm. The penetration at 1000m is 77mm! I've never seen a gun that had better penetration at 1000m than at 500. It this a typo? The data for penetration at 30 degrees is a little odd as well as the penetration at 100m and 500m is exactly the same.

------------------

You've never heard music until you've heard the bleating of a gut-shot cesspooler. -Mark IV

[This message has been edited by Vanir (edited 01-10-2001).]

Guest Big Time Software

I think what we're seeing there is the "shatter gap". Above a certain velocity the shell breaks up (not completely - just enough to reduce penetration a bit). So as you move farther away, the velocity drops below that threshold, and penetration actually increases just slightly. The same is even more true for the U.S. 76mm, but it's just not visible at the chosen columns for 100m/500m/1000m/2000m. I forget exactly where its threshold range is.

Charles

Ah. Ok. That makes sense. That also answers another question I had earlier as to why the penetration values of the 76 don't go down as much at long range compared to short range as most other rounds. Thanx!

------------------

You've never heard music until you've heard the bleating of a gut-shot cesspooler. -Mark IV