CM2-Improvements

I hope to inspire some talk and planning for new features that we would like to see in CM2. While it would be nice to simply have CM:BO with Russian units and Russian tanks, I would prefer some improvements to the game system as well. I suspect if we have any suggestions, now is the time to be making them-a few months before publication will be too late.

I have two:

1) Multiplayer ability. I would like to see multiple players per side, and the situation where I can only see what my own (not my whole side's) units can see. If I have a company, and have a friendly player with a different company, I would hope to only see my own company's units, and the enemy (as well as other friendly) units that my own units can see-I don't want to see every friendly unit on the battlefield, but be limited to controlling only my own company for example.

2) Larger maps-and, by extension, more forces. However, I have played around with the operations editor, and feel that for larger maps, a different camera angle would be necessary. On a 3x5 km map, as I scrolled around on the highest camera angle, the map was large enough that I got 'lost': I forgot how far back my last friendly units were, I forgot how far back the last ridgeline was, etc-it was very difficult to set up forces and plan a battle on even this size map: on a larger map (someone else mentioned a 10km mapsize) this would be exceedingly difficult.

Thus, a different camera angle: perhaps a top down 'topomap'-like angle, which showed friendly forces as blue dots, would help. Perhaps the ability to add gridlines (every 500 meters, or every 1000 meters) would help to orient. Perhaps the ability to add friendly graphics (even simple ones-lines separating company operating areas, for instance) and then toggle them on and off during battle (i.e. have them on during setup, and on occasionally during the battle to check progress, but off during most of the movement and execution) would help. As a model or example, the maps used on the MDMP website look great, and for a larger CM map, something similar would be absolutely indispensible.

I am sure there are other 'game system' improvements that we would like to see, and those 'game system' improvements really need to be addressed now.

Steve

I think it would be cool to be able to save surviving troops for play in another quick battle. Say, if each game saved out a file of survivng troops, and a seperate file with the just-played QB map. That way a person could have "quick operations", where each map was generated randomly, and surviving troops could move on to that new map. Alternatively, if you are in a QB with someone that is no fun (night fog, blizzard, etc.) you could both agree to withdraw and try again when the weather/conditions improve. Weather did sometimes preclude any combat operations. Something like if both particpants issue a "cease fire", then the troop file, and map file would be saved for future use. Obviously, both sides would have to agree to it for the battle to be postponed. I also like how such a system would result in randomized operations, thus making one want to conserve their troops for future possible engagements, even in QB's.

Just a thought that occurred to me while driving to work this morning.

Stephen Smith wrote:

> I hope to inspire some talk and planning for new features that we would like to see in CM2. [...] I suspect if we have any suggestions, now is the time to be making them-a few months before publication will be too late.

OHMYGOD!!! Where have you been since CMBO was released??

I would also like to see a multiplayer option where it would be possible to play in teams. This would add "command and control" realism beyond what is now possible. While I realize coordination between players on the same side would be difficult if each player is connected from their home via a modem, I believe it is reasonable to play this way on a LAN. Combat Mission has become a big enough hit with my friends and co-workers that I would not have a problem getting half-a-dozen players together for a game.