CM2: good news for laptop users

As the title subtly suggests I'm one of those who have to fight with video adapter problems when another day of joy is here: when CM2 arrives. Since I'm the worrying A-type of person smile.gif, I have already been preparing for this moment. Here are my findings so far.

First, CM2 will be playable with video adapters that have 8MB of video memory. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif I asked about the situation from Madmatt, and here's his reply:

8meg video cards will still be able to run CM2, it will just take a little longer to load and may not look as nice as a video card with 16 or 32 or 64 megs. Basically it would be as if you were playing CM with a 4mb video card now.

This alone is great news for me.

Second, I have been trying to find out what kind of options there exists for those who'd like to connect a second video adapter to their laptop. If your laptop adapter sells a docking station which has PCI card slots that is one option. This is a valid option for me, for example. However, in my case this option is very expensive.

It seems that there is another way of solving the problem: Mobility Electronics produces a universal docking station with PCI slots which (it seems) can be connected to any computer that has a PCMCIA type II card slot. It is still quite expensive, but for example in my case it is cheaper than the original docking station. I have also contacted the company in order to motivate them to make a new product targeted specifically for those laptop users that need a second video adapter, but this is a very, very long call - although I do think there would be demand for such a product.

Now I have not used this product, so I can't give you any guarantees. But at least it's an option. It would also seem that they have some models for Mac users.

So, to sum up, there is light at the end of the CM2 tunnel for laptop users. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Nabla (edited 02-22-2001).]

I've had laptop probs too. My own has an 8M ATI Rage chipset and one provided by work is a Toshiba with only 2.5M. Shrullenhaft and Olle have tried to help out on the latter machine though it does seem I'm stuffed! Although the original 'ad' on the CM website says a 266 (if I recall correctly) should do it without a 3D card, this is a PII 500 and doesn't even get past the graphics option screen. S**t happens.

Originally posted by Apache:

I've had laptop probs too. My own has an 8M ATI Rage chipset and one provided by work is a Toshiba with only 2.5M. Shrullenhaft and Olle have tried to help out on the latter machine though it does seem I'm stuffed! Although the original 'ad' on the CM website says a 266 (if I recall correctly) should do it without a 3D card, this is a PII 500 and doesn't even get past the graphics option screen. S**t happens.

What did you expect from your boss ? A laptop to play CM ? :P

He's quite smart, and knows that with such a crappy VRAM you'll be condemned to WORK with this machine !

Ah ah ah ! biggrin.gif