The computer is cheating!!!

well sort of... i think i have found a bug.

ok here is the thing. I am making a new version of VoT and the allies have ALOT of units (Battallion+ size) and they have 3 cannons. they are all set up close to eachother and each time i playtest against the computer it has moved the guns. on turn 1 only one gun is in the correct place. the other 2 have been moved. The thing is that im using the "use scenario default" setup for the computer. and it still moves those bloody guns!!!

so whats up with that?

------------------

Wof, wof, wof, wof... Thats my other dog imitation.

Guest Madmatt

How close together are you placing them? The AI does have an inherent "anti-clutter" mentality but I didn't think it kicked in to the turn one action playback (you will see some units get up and move away from one another on occasion).

How are you seeing the units you placed moved? They are starting in different locations than you placed them? Can you send me both the scenario file (as you designed it) and an autosave from turn 1?

Madmatt

I just ran some tests on the scenario.

if i move the cannons far away from eachother they are still relocated by the AI.

but if i padlock everything then it moves nothing.

ps. i also noticed that it moves alot of other small units like 60mm mortars and the likes.

could it be that the AI just doesnt handle the setup of so many units (about 4500 points) in a scenario without changing some around... maby it just adheres to the "use scenario default" rule for a certain number of units. and then moves the rest around as if it was allowed to.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oddball_E8:

well sort of... i think i have found a bug.

ok here is the thing. I am making a new version of VoT and the allies have ALOT of units (Battallion+ size) and they have 3 cannons. they are all set up close to eachother and each time i playtest against the computer it has moved the guns. on turn 1 only one gun is in the correct place. the other 2 have been moved. The thing is that im using the "use scenario default" setup for the computer. and it still moves those bloody guns!!!

so whats up with that?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try padlocking *just* the guns!!!! You don't have to padlock *everything*!!!

Aaah, but as i mentioned before it is not only the guns that are being moved around. some miscellaneous units like mortars and MGs are being moved too.

i strongly believe that for some reason the AI takes some "liberties" with unit placement when there are a LOT of units.

I remember this happening to me before on some really large battles.

try it out yourself if you dont believe me.

Buy 5000 points for each side and set them up in the editor, then try playing the AI without FOW. it has most likely moved some units.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

I fail to see the problem....?

like you found out yourself, padlock 'em and voilá.

?!?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, I don't either. If you padlock'em, they ain't movin'. Period. Padlock the guns, and nothing else. I fail to see the problem.

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

I agree, I don't either. If you padlock'em, they ain't movin'. Period. Padlock the guns, and nothing else. I fail to see the problem.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I obviously can't speak for Oddball, but I think that he wants the option for a human player (or computer, if the "stick to scenario default" option is disabled) to move the guns if desired. That is the problem.

-Andrew

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mirage2k:

I obviously can't speak for Oddball, but I think that he wants the option for a human player (or computer, if the "stick to scenario default" option is disabled) to move the guns if desired. That is the problem.

-Andrew<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree. If you reread his initial post, it sounds like he wants to keep the guns in the same place, ie padlock them. The stick to scenario default option is a little fuzzy if you ask me. I think it really only applies if you play the AI when you want the setup to remain historical.

Actually Mirage2k is right.

i still want the option for the human player to set up as he wants, but the computer sets up like an ass (pardon my french) sometimes.

the problem here is that the AI sets up one of the guns in an open area and it gets hammered out of existance on the first turn.

if it stays in the place i put it it would be able to survive for at least a couple of turns.

but what really bugs me is the fact that the "use scenario default" option obviously is flawed somehow. If you are playing a historical scenario or just want to try playing the scenario with the positions that the scenario creater intended it is really annoying that it moves them around. Just think of all those nasty little ambushes that could be messed up because the AI places the cruicial piece of equipment (cannon, zrech or whatever) in the middle of the road or something!

I think this is an annoying problem... but there must be some way of fixing it... especially since it seems that the AI moves the same units every time... Ive tried the scenario four times now and the AI always moves the same units... two cannons and about six mortars and MGs.

So there must be some sort of system behind it all... maby it could be fixed if BTS releases another patch, after all they didnt get the changed values of the jumbo in the latest patch...

Oh and by the way... just so noone takes this the wrong way... I LOVE COMBAT MISSION! ive never played a game as good and addictive as this... Keep up the good work (and please steve... release a purchable vehicle addon patch... pretty please... with suger on top!)

------------------