Prayers go out to Ted Williams.

Guest MantaRay

Guest MantaRay

Maybe a bit OT, but Ted Williams, the former Boston Red Sox baseball great, has been admitted to the hospital for failing heart valves.

For those of you who don't know, Williams was a top notch Marine flyer in WWII and Korea. Very few real men left from that era, and IMHO, he was one of the greatest Athletes of all time. If he was to be compared to a game, he would be CMBO, for his determination and his desire for perfection. A real baseball grog if there ever was one.

I can say he was always nice to me when I was growing up. Luckily my father was the Attorney for the BoSox, and going to the weekend games was one of the reasons I am who I am today. Many of you may have the sport of baseball, but back then, it was much more than a sport to me and millions of kids. Sadly I do not feel the same about it now, but I still have fond memories.

Get better Mr. Williams

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

Sorry to hear about Ted Williams. Never met him, but we have a similar baseball icon here who was a contemporary, Stan Musial. Had knee replacements not too long ago but seems to be doing well. He's the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet, and will offer his autograph if you don't ask. How much money do you think they'd make if they were playing now, and what do you think they'd hit against today's mediocre pitching?

I never had the good fortune to meet Ted Williams, but he's a living legend in my book, not merely for what he did on the field and his dedication to his craft (he was an artist and scientist of hitting), but for the way he spoke out ahead of his time in support of recognition for African-American baseball players. It's great to see someone using their celebrity for good.

------------------

I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity.

--Eisenhower

It's very interesting, but given the state of today's professional sports, Teddy Ballgame being the "Last of the .400 Hitters" means a lot more than it ever did. Not only is it unlikely that any pro will hit .400 in the near future, but this title also represents an era that is slowly fading away, with only the recordbooks to remember it. Is it just coincidence that that this is the same group that Ted Brokaw called "The Greatest Generation?" I think not.

In a world where we literally see legitimate heroes pass away everyday, one can only hope that The Splendid Splinter has got a few more ballgames in him.

Get better Ted, that Green Monster ain't so big.

------------------

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! -

THIS SIG FILE BELONGS TO A COMPLETE FOO.

MR T WOULDN'T BE SO KIND AS TO WRINKLE AN EYEBROW AT THIS UNFORTUNATE BEING. PLEASE OFFER HIS PARENTS AND COHABITANTS ALL SYMPATHY POSSIBLE. MAY BE CONTAGIOUS. CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER, INTELLIGENCE AND WIT. STAND WELL CLEAR AND LIGHT WICK. BY ORDER PETERNZ

Damn Croda. That is one funny sig!!!

must suck to be you - Hiram Sedai

[This message has been edited by Croda (edited 01-17-2001).]