Checking out PBEM Scenario Specs

I just started playing Villiers-Fossard and did some checking of LOS from the scenario editor. I also accidently saved changes to the scenario and sent the "doctored" file to my PBEM opponent accidentally. End result - I had a MG42 overlooking his set up area from a tall building. Very embarrassing redface.gif

Anyway, I remedied that and apologised (old ASL habits of checking LOS are very hard to break) but that did set me thinking ...

Is there any way to check:

i) That the parameters in the QB you're playing are what your opp. tells you? What if I told you that the QB I sent you was random time/weather, but I actually set it to say night/mud and pruchased my OB accordingly leaving you in the dark literally?

ii) That a scenario hasn't been doctored with? I just read in Opp. Finder someone being accused of doctoring a scenario they received(not very pleasent for all involved). So how do I know if someone sends me a setup that they haven't increased their tungsten load or the chances of their reinforcement arriving on a given turn?

Before I get shot down for being a sneaky bastard to have come up with despicable thoughts like this in the first place ... I have played ASL PBEM before and my take on the above is that if you feel tha you can't trust your fellow players than stick to playing the AI. If you expect others to trust you, you should return the favour too.

What I'm trying to get at howver is that given that a computer doing the game resolution does away with the requirement for "honour" rules - is there any way to take it further to allow for checking out the game/unit specs post game so as to prevent any unsavoury incidents?

I this has been discussed before, my apologies.

BTW the above ruminations should in no way be read as a slight on the guys I'm currently PBEMing with ... I'm the sneaky one for having come up with such dishonourable ideas. Must commit seppu-ku after this ;)

Kotay,

First, there are some/many that would consider it gamey to be investigating LOS prior to battle. It is argued that the real commander would not have the luxury of touring the battlefield.

As things stand, there is no way to verify that the parameters listed by your opponent are indeed the parameters being used. Further, there is no way to know whether or not your opponent has altered a scenario.

I hope that helps.