AI Tweak suggestion

As if there weren't enough new ideas for CM2.

Here's a simple sounding one -

How about making squads look for cover automagically at the end of their move, if they can see an enemy?

It's pretty far-fetched to give an order that squad I should go to that mound, squad II take cover behind that wall and squad C hit that ditch.

Since the move "tweak" code is already there, the same "fuzzy" area could be used for last-second, sergeant-level decision-making. Just look for cover from the direction of the biggest visible threat (to that squad) within the area where the move could be adjusted to manually.

Yeah, TacAI does something like that already, but I'd like to see stop-look for cover-engage instead of stop-engage-get killed.. :D

By the way, I played SPWAW for the first time since I bought CM and it was so micromanagery! Thanks BTS!

I don't think that section of the AI needs any tweaking at all.

If the game where based around you being a Company Comander and you only gave orders to your Platoon leaders.

In which case they deploy their teams as they wish then there would need to be improvments to the AI.

I say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" smile.gif

Oh, I can just see the amount of frustration this kind of change would generate smile.gif

The tacAI targeting routines drew a lot of people crazy by having different priorities than the player.

Now the squads wouldn't even stay where they have been ordered to go.

After all, if your men come under effective fire they will seek cover. Thus the "emergency release" is already there, but up until that point I imagine most players want the men to stay in position.

Cheers!

M.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mattias:

After all, if your men come under effective fire they will seek cover. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not at once. That only happens AFTER their morale breaks.

The first reaction should be to seek cover if under fire and said cover was readily available..