Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Smoke graphics - video settings

Help! Have just got the game and installed it. Superb - but one query. My graphics card is a Voodoo 3 3000 and when the game loaded the first time I got the 'accept' message for 1024x768 and it inidicated 'primary display driver' which I assume is correct (no other display driver). The card is 16M and should be able to run most of the graphics OK I think.

However, when I run the game using 'fast and compatible' smoke effects they look quite good if a little 'plumy', but it does look like smoke. When I run the realistic smoke it looks OK but seems to come up looking like square semi transparent windows which looks less realistic than the 'f&c' smoke. Is that how it looks on everyone's system? If it does - fine, if not I need to know what to do to 'up the realism'. When I go to Voodoo 'Tweaks' under display it is set to 'desktop', should it be set to Direct 3D or Open/GL?

I searched on the forum and have seen many similar queries but not found whether problems were resolved. Presumably it must be a driver or settings related problem. I know people post about driver problems however and if it is the driver I would prefer one that works OK.

[This message has been edited by Apache (edited 03-03-2001).]

I used to own a V3 3000, but it's been a while. I'd try setting it to OpenGL or D3D to see what happens. You're not somehow running the game in software mode, perhaps?

------------------

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Originally posted by Apache:

I searched on the forum and have seen many similar queries but not found whether problems were resolved. Presumably it must be a driver or settings related problem. I know people post about driver problems however and if it is the driver I would prefer one that works OK.

It is *indeed* a driver problem. You need to update to the latest driver that you can find for a Voodoo 3000. For example, I use a 32MB TNT2 card, but the latest driver for that particular card is a year old this month to be exact and it still works just fine. Just make sure that the new driver is DX7 compatible.

As for the smoke graphics looking like transparent squares, no, that is *not* the way they are supposed to look.

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

"I do what I likes, and I likes what I do."--Darrell Hammond (portraying Bill Clinton), SNL