Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Hey what's the diff..

Guest wwb_99

SPW-Armored, Armed with Direct-Fire weapons. For tactical transport & fire support.

SDKFZ-Unarmored, sometimes armed with AAA, not for tactical use. Also known as prime movers.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Guest Martin Cracauer

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

WHat is the difference between the German SPW-250 series and the SDKF series of half-tracks (I mean as far as purpose and performance, not graphics)?

SPW = Schützenpanzerwagen =

"riflemen armor wagon", what we usually mean if we say "halftrack meant to be an amored personal carrier".

SdKfz = Sonderkraftfahrzeug = special self-propelled vehicle. Almost everything that wasn't a normal street car/truck nor a tank had some "sdkfz" designation.

The sdkfz 250 series is the small halftracks, the 251 are the newer bigger slower ones.

Of both series the /1 was the armored personal carrier (250/1 an 251/1), where the other /x were the same chassis and armor used for a vehicle not meant to transport personal. Usually self-propelled heavy weapons or command/radio/telephone vehicles.

The are lots of other halftracks not based on the 250 or 251 chassis, most of them without armor, for example the tractors (SdKfz 7-11), which usually had seats as well, but no armor.

[This message has been edited by Martin Cracauer (edited 03-10-2001).]