On your marks...Get set...VPEREVD!!! Whistling in CM2

I was watching the trailer for Enemy at the Gates (no, this is not about the movie) and one particular detail caught my eye:

When the Soviet troops were getting ready to charge the German positions, one officer (possible a Company/Platoon commander) blew a whistle to signal the charge.

That left me wondering. Was this used often? I would imagine it is not unrealistic, since Soviets did not have much radios and a large attack would have to be coordinated somehow for it to have any chance at success. So the whistle, signaling the charge could have been used. I would imagine, however, that this would also be a disadvantage in some cases, because it would warn the Germans of the charge.

Now to relate this with CM2: When we charge an enemy position in the game, could this whistle be generated? The reason would not be just cosmetic. The enemy would be warned of the charge due to the whistle, and would this be alert and maybe turn into the direction of the sound (wouldn't you if you though a wave of men was about to wash over you if you did turn about and fight them?). Also, due to the unreliability of conscripts in CM, performing orders too early or too late, the whistle could promote an almost instant reaction. After all, the troops would have probably been trained to listen for the sound and would thus know what to do when it was heard.

There arises a few questions.

Historical:

Can anyone confirm whether this was even used, and if so, for how long? Only the early years maybe? Then again, the movie is based in Stalingrad. The keyword, of course, is "movie".

Game related:

Like, for example, when would the whistle be used and when not? Im sure a platoon advance did not require a whistle, but a company advance could.

What counts as a charge? I think if you command your men to "Run" at a position held by the enemy, the computer would count this as a charge, and the whistle would be heard.

How many men must charge for the whistle to be used? I think a company is good enough, but as I have no real sources on this, I'd like to take some suggestions from the experts.

Anyway, thats about all. What do you guys think?

Cheers!

*Edited for gosh-darned spelling mistkaes*

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

[This message has been edited by The Commissar (edited 03-10-2001).]

So, with the historical bit down...would it be difficult to implement this into CM2? Would it be worth the work?

Comments?

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Guest HENTZAU

You can put the bagpipe wav mod in your current CM game. You won't get any nme reaction to it(I believe?), but its cool to listen to as the British move forward.

[This message has been edited by HENTZAU (edited 03-11-2001).]