panther ass cheeks

i know i sent a message before on the turret rotation of the panther. whenever i hear about the tank it is said that it was good all around. i have never read or heard that it had slow turret rotation till i played this game. i know that the turret is running on hydraulics and all. so the rotation depends on rpms. well thats all fine and dandy but when the tank is moving fast does the turret speed up in the game, cause i haven't noticed? it idles at 2000rpm i am told and that is the speed at which it rotates at 18seconds for 360 degrees : ) just thought i would present that info.. thanks for reading : )

smile.gif

Well, if you can get the forum search to work, there are about 20 pages dedicated to the Panther turret speed - in 1 or 2 threads. You can search on my member number. I started the 2nd thread of however many there were.

In a nutshell, the Panther turret can rotate much faster than what is represented in the game, but it depends on the quality of the driver. Last I heard, BTS was *thinking* about putting in a variable speed depending on crew quality. I mean, you'd expect an elite driver to be able to rev the engine while staying put and rotating the turret, but maybe not a regular driver.

Zetterling certainly thinks so:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It is sometimes said that the Sherman had an advantage over the Panther due to its powered turret traverse. It is questionable if this really was much of an advantage. First of all the Panther had powered traverse, not electric but hydraulic. This meant that the speed with which the turret could be traversed was dependent on the engine speed. If the driver, gunner and commander of the tank were trained together this was not much of a problem. The driver could select a suitable gear to ensure quick traverse of the turret. If this was done the turret could be rotated 360° in 15 to 18 seconds. This corresponds to an angular velocity of 20 - 24 °/sec, which was only marginally slower than the Sherman.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Panther does idle more around 1200 rpm, but 'working rpm' is 1800 to 2000, which is only a second or two away.

Hopefully BTS has not given up on this for CM 2, there will be a lot of Panthers there too...it will be interesting if the first mark of the Panther, which DID have a slow single speed turret, will be modeled with a slower turret yet, or whether they will leave it the same.