Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Strange AI behavior

I recently was playing a 2000 point quick battle on a large map against the computer. It was a meeting engagement scenario with combined arms for both sides. During the battle, the Axis AI acted very strange. Basically, it didn't act at all! Normally, the AI and my forces would both head toward the objective with a nasty firefight developing. This time, the computer seemed content to send two armored vehicles and a few squads of men towards the objective while the vast bulk of his forces sat out the battle. After taking and holding both objectives with little, if any, effort, we went on to win the game 30 turns later. After it ended, I viewed the enemy dispositions: sure enough, his armor and troops were strung out in a long line---I am guessing it was their initial placement positions. For some reason the AI decided to sit this battle out. Can AI suffer from battle fatigue? smile.gif

I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Maybe a large map with so many forces were just too much for the AI to handle....

---Scott "I cannot wait for CM2" D.T. :D

Yeah that does seem very strange. I've played AI hundreds of times and while it is slow to get it's troops going sometimes ( probably aware of how good I am ) it does at least try to take the objective. I'll be interested to see what the pros have to say also - if they're not too drunk and pasted out that is. :D

I recently experienced what i would also call strange AI behavior, but not as strange as yours.

I was playing the scenario "First Clash at Cambes" in which there are 3 victory flags. I played as Axis and given the intial distribution of troops i decided to hold 2 and not contest the 3rd.

its a rather long scenario (60 turns) and early on i got lucky and took out 8 allied tanks, only loseing 1. I then continued to set up my defenses is the best way i could think of.

the AI did fire some smoke at my armor in later turns and an air strike took out another tank. and a spotter tried to come out of the woods but was quickly cut to peices. at the end of 60 turns that was the extent of the action.

viewing the map i found that the brits had 3 companies of supported infantry all clustered in the woods around the 1 VL i chose not to contest. needless to say i was dissappointed.

seems to me that, in this case, the ai decided my defense of the other 2 VL's was too good to waste any more lives trying to take them from me. YEAH, RIGHT!