Psychic Truck Drivers?

Had a recent game where I needed to move some trucks off the map, the trucks refused to move down a road though there were no, and I mean *NO*enemy nearby. Several enemy units could possibly have LOS to portions of the road, but from quite a long way off if at all. I plotted over and over agian the trucks to go down the road, and they would stop always at the same place. Then after about 2 or 3 turns the road is impacted by arty... So I got to wondering; I went back to the saved movie files and noticed that when I plotted the fast move command down the road, the trucks stopped just short of where the arty later impacted.

I was able to get a couple trucks out, but because they would all stop at the same place and sit there, and they were GREEN, there was a delay after replotting the orders and get them going again, un-tangle the traffic jam, etc...

Has anyone else seen this sort of thing?

The answers are readily available by calling the Psychic Truck Drivers Hotline.

Psychic Truck Drivers are standing by to answer your call.

Just dial 1-976-T-R-U-C-K-A-I!*

*calls billed at $3 per minute. Children, Lewis, and Newbies please obtain parental permission before consulting Psychic Truck Drivers Hotline.

Were there mines of any kind on the road? Once minefields are spotted units will refuse to move into them, unless the unit is broken/routed and accidently runs into the mines. Also make sure there were no roadblocks and no terrain obstacles (ford etc) that would prevent the trucks from advancing. Beyond that I dunno....

What is sounds like is some routine for unarmed vehicle AI that they will not move through any location under "fire" by the enemy - plus the mechanics of delayed artillery missions, which have the FO targeting the spot for minutes, with the actual shells only landing later of course. Sounds like that targeting line "counts" for the unarmed vehicle AI, when it shouldn't count, for FOs.

Yeah it seems like it is just a matter of the TacAI handling unarmed vehicles.

Seems like I played a mission once before too where the trucks were hesitant to drive down a road. Of course, there were some enemy troops down where I was trying to go. It was one of those Canyon Escape scenarios with an exit zone at the end of the road through the canyon.