What cartridges are they?

I was wondering and yes I did a search although I don't believe it's working, what cartridges did the MG42,M1917 and M1919 use? Also, what is the difference between the light and heavy MG42? I assume they both used the same ammo so must be the actual machine gun itself but what difference? :confused:

Guest Babra

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ts9:

MG34 and MG42 were 8mm Mauser same as the K98 bolt action rifle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

7.92mm wasn't it?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lcm1947:

Any knowledge about the difference between the LMG42 and the HMG42 ? :confused:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the Germans called them lMG and sMG - so don't get confused by poorly translated works that talk about SMGs because they mean Heavy ("schwere") machine gun.

The difference was the lMG fired from a bipod. The sMG was the same gun, but on a tripod, with a telescopic sight. The lMG was fired from belts, but also an assault drum.

The sMG was dug in, usually, with lots of ammo, and quick change barrels. If you took the MG42 of the lafette (tripod) mount, it became an lMG.

You could not do that with a water cooled Browning or a Vickers.

As I understand it the HMG is mounted on a tripod with a better gunsight, and could also be fired semi-remotely using a cable whilst the crew remained prone and the gun panned left and right. The LMG had a simple bipod mount, apart from that I believe they were the same gun.

Have fun

Finn

The HMG and the LMG are exactly the same weapon in CM, except that the HMG has the tripod mount and a bigger crew. The bigger crew carries more ammo, so the main difference we see in the game is the higher ammo load.

One of the chief innovations of the MG42 was the quick-change barrel. A heavier barrel option would have improved long-range accuracy, but facilitating cooling was unnecessary, since part of what the larger crew carried was more spare barrels, which is a darned good idea with an air-cooled weapon firing 1200 rpm.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

The HMG and the LMG are exactly the same weapon in CM, except that the HMG has the tripod mount and a bigger crew. The bigger crew carries more ammo, so the main difference we see in the game is the higher ammo load.

One of the chief innovations of the MG42 was the quick-change barrel. A heavier barrel option would have improved long-range accuracy, but facilitating cooling was unnecessary, since part of what the larger crew carried was more spare barrels, which is a darned good idea with an air-cooled weapon firing 1200 rpm.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Theres a big firepower difference, something in the order of 3x as much out of the HMG42.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SenorBeef:

Theres a big firepower difference, something in the order of 3x as much out of the HMG42.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. If I recall correctly the HMG is modeled to fire longer bursts more often based on the assumptions of interchangeable barrels and higher ammo loadout than the LMG.

Ok, I think I'm straight on this subject. Thanks to all of you that made remarks. Special note to Michael. Appreicate you explaining the SMG vs HMG and LMG. I was actually wondering about that also but didn't want muddy the water. Too bad we don't have American machine gun platoons like the German SMG platoons. I hate my rifle platoons to come up against the SMG platoons unexpected and get wiped out. This mostly happens in woods but even coming up over a hill I've ran into these damn SMG platoons. The troops don't enyou it either. :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lcm1947:

Ok, I think I'm straight on this subject. Thanks to all of you that made remarks. Special note to Michael. Appreicate you explaining the SMG vs HMG and LMG. I was actually wondering about that also but didn't want muddy the water. Too bad we don't have American machine gun platoons like the German SMG platoons. I hate my rifle platoons to come up against the SMG platoons unexpected and get wiped out. This mostly happens in woods but even coming up over a hill I've ran into these damn SMG platoons. The troops don't enyou it either. :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, but in CM, they use SMG in the English sense - submachine gun - to denote squads that are equipped with what the Germans called an MPi - Maschinen Pistole...

Muddy?