This is historically accurate.

Most AT guns, in their intended role, got off only one or two shots.

The trick was to make these shots count, trading an At gun, for a tank is generally a pretty good trade off.

The trick is to set the weapon up with a restricted LOS, and a good escape route. The line of fire should cover areas where you think the enemy are going to be compelled to go. Thus face one tank with one or more AT guns, the restricted line of sight means that when the gun opens up other units infantry or morters will not be able to intervean.

The restriced LOS means that if the weapon is targeted by FO's the fire will take a few minutes to arrive, this gives you enought time to hitch the AT gun away to safety.

What I've had the most success with during ME's, and the reason I usually buy at least one towed gun of some sort, is to keep them in reserve until the enemy reveals its armor/infantry/position (whatever the primary gun target would be), and then place them well hidden, usually at the back of a woods and behind a rise, and move them up with a good hull down type position (barrel as low to the ground as possible but with a good LOS and if possible as stated above, with hidden incoming LOS to my gun's flank), before engaging them.

I also find them (towed AT guns, or AA guns), handy to guard flank avenues of approach where enemy armor or recon vehicles could be suspected to travel. Having a 50mm AT gun on a flank extension, allows me an early warning of any approaching vehicle, and an inherent ability to potentially take it out, and a little more flexibility with my own vehicles (knowing that avenue of approach is guarded).

It is also very helpful to keep a vehicle in the vicinity to haul them out if necessary/possible, after a couple rounds have been fired.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 03-12-2001).]

Guest wwb_99

Also, putting them near a good commander does not hurt. One other word of advice is to not place them to ambush alone, but with other units. If 10 things start shooting at once, the ATG usually will not draw all that much fire.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.