From Airfix soldiers to Mod making : looking for advices from moders

All the talent and art that Mod makers show makes me remember the time I was a kid ( I mean a small kid , not an adult kid like now ) and spent hours after hours for years, modeling Aircraft , Ships ,Tanks and carefully painting with the help of a magnifier ( for small details ) , not to mention many hundreds of 1/32 and 1/48 scale Airfix soldiers ( US ,Germans ,Russians, British 8th army, Afrika Korps , Japanese, British Commandos Indians , Romans, Napoleonians.....) . I remember cutting riffles from soldiers to glue them on civilians that became " partisans".With all my armies in a box I went to friends homes and then ...what epic battles ( shooting paper bullets or matches with metal spring -guns ).

Dam , I can remember the smell of the paint and the turpentine in my room...

All that give the envy to make mods .I know nothing in mod making and have no graphic training ( only " play " with Photoshop ) but I am ready to learn .

Not long ago I saw somewhere in the Net something which looked very much as mode making guide . Does anyone know the address of such a site?

Apart from " playing " with Photoshop , what is the best way to learn more seriously this program ? Is the "Help" enough or may I invest in some training book ?. I tried to open a BMP from CM BMP folder just to try to do something with it but Photoshop gave me this message : " Could not open the document because it is not a valid Photoshop document ".

Is Photoshop the best tool for moding ?.

Crockett