Idiot Newbie Questions

1. Whats the difference between a yellow "targeting" line and a red one?

2. Engineers and Flamethrowers... how do you guys move these buggers up without them having to hit the dirt constantly? seems like if i had an enemy postion beat down bad enough to be able to move these guys into place safely i wouldnt need them! lol

3. How do HQ units effect battle? Morale bonuses and such i assume?

4. What is the proper use of "spotter" type units?

5. if there is FAQ explaning this stuff point me to it so you dont have to waste time on my idiot questions.

6. Yes im still just playing the demo

thanks again

Detroit Guy

I'm feeling charitable, so I'll give it a shot:

Originally posted by Detroit Guy:

1. Whats the difference between a yellow "targeting" line and a red one?

Red = outgoing fire, yellow = incoming fire.

2. Engineers and Flamethrowers... how do you guys move these buggers up without them having to hit the dirt constantly? seems like if i had an enemy postion beat down bad enough to be able to move these guys into place safely i wouldnt need them! lol

Like when moving any unit forward (but moreso with these fragile little guys) make sure you mass firepower against the bad guys to keep their heads down. If possible, advance them hidden through or behind cover.

3. How do HQ units effect battle? Morale bonuses and such i assume?

Yep, it's all explained in the manual (which I assume you don't have yet if you just ordered) ;) Also, HQ's allow mortars to plot fire on targets they can see, but that the mortars under their influence can't.

4. What is the proper use of "spotter" type units?

Hmmm...I could write a novel on indirect fire support (where's Jason C when you need him? ;) ) Spotters are used to call off-board arty in on targets to soften them up and/or disrupt enemy attacks. They're also useful for laying down smoke screens.

5. if there is FAQ explaning this stuff point me to it so you dont have to waste time on my idiot questions.

Hehe..you bet! Just look around on the first two pages for a thread with "FAQ" in the title by Russel (it moves around depending on when it's been bumped last). I'm too lazy to look for it and link to it.

Try playing a human ASAP in a PBEM or TCP game. That will teach you more than a hundred games against the AI. Welcome to the club! Enjoy...

thanks again

Detroit Guy[/QB]

1. A yellow targeting line is incoming. Red is a outgoing. Orange-ish is Area Target

2. Flamethrowers are mostly useless unless there is no unit covering a pillboxes flanks. They are good at burning down buildings and for burning units up in night fighting. I use engineers as normal infantry, and if I'm lucky, maybe I can flank a pillbox or bunker.

3. To use HQ units useful, keep them close enough to the platoon so that there is a red command line, not a black one. (A black one means the HQ is out of command-and-control range.) Just keep them encircled by the platoon and you will do just fine. Different HQ units have different attributes, but all of them are good for corraling broken units.

4. Keep them hidden in spots that have a fast escape route and a good field of view. To fire artillery, target an area like you normally would. You can fire artillery with or without line of sight, but without takes a long time, and it's not as accurate.

5. Oops, shoulda given you the site beforehand smile.gif.

Good luck,

Matt M.

P.S. Wanna play a demo game when you get better?

[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: Ezmartini ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mannheim Tanker:

[qb]

Try playing a human ASAP in a PBEM or TCP game. That will teach you more than a hundred games against the AI. Welcome to the club! Enjoy...

thanks again

Detroit Guy[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: Mannheim Tanker ][/QB]

Hey Detroit Guy, I don't see any replies explaining what a mod is......how could we be so careless as a community on this one.

This is one of the great things about the game. Most of the graphics can be modified by downloading a mod file and putting it in the bmp folder (ok there's a mod manager, but more for later). So for example you Panther G can now have a camo pattern on it. Try some of the links you see by people's signatures and follow your way to the mod pages on their sites for some of the eye candy.

Welcome aboard BTW.