Terrain Feature that MUST be in CM3

I know it's too early, but being that CM3 will most likely be under the CMII engine, there is one terrain feature that must be accounted for.

The cliff and/or gully. In order for desert and mountainous terrain such as Italy and such to look right, there needs to be a special textured cliff tile or...oh what's that term they used in WaW: Operation Crusader for areas where there was sudden rocky drop-offs?

Anyway, I know this would take a rewrite of the engine to put in such special terrain features so that's why I'm saying CM3 and not CM2. Besides, there weren't many rocky mountainous areas in which the Eastern Front was fought in, so we wouldn't need such terrain.

This is a similar concept to what I call terracing, which I discussed in my urban terrain super-thread. I now have a link to it from my webpage.

However, cliffs can be very closely approximated in CM by placing two adjacent tiles of greatly differing elevation, and using the 'rough' terrain on the resultant slope.

button.gif

[ 06-10-2001: Message edited by: David Aitken ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

However, cliffs can be very closely approximated in CM by placing two adjacent tiles of greatly differing elevation, and using the 'rough' terrain on the resultant slope.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true, but I think after the engine rewrite, I believe that we definately need a better looking rocky mountain slope looking tile as we're going to be fighting in Italy, Sicily, Greece, and North Africa were there are a lot of rocky surfaces.

So what I'm saying is that I think a mountain side tile needs to be made for mountains. I'm kinda shocked that the DFDR team didn't make the rough tile look more like a rocky mountain side. Instead they stayed with the scattered rock look like we have in CMBO originally.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>, there needs to be a special textured cliff tile or...oh what's that term they used in WaW: Operation Crusader for areas where there was sudden rocky drop-offs?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC it's "escarpment", or in North Africa specifically "Djebel" (means "escarpment" in Arabic).

According to the Chambers 21st Century Dictionary, an escarpment is "a more or less continuous line of very steep slopes, formed by faulting or erosion, especially around the margins of a plateau. 19c: from French escarper to cut steeply."

This isn't exactly a cliff, and would not necessarily be rocky, but I can very much envisage it being a common characteristic in the desert.