Interesting AI decision - moving towards the enemy

In a current PBEM I had the following interesting situation.

A regular Jerry Halftrack started shooting at my MG carrier several hundred meters away. The carrier (veteran) did not shoot back. It was placed just around the corner of a house, for obvious reasons, i.e. I would expect it to reverse to get out of harm's way.

Next round, the Halftrack is joined by a green Stug and the veterano starst shooting (finally!) at the halftrack.

Now I'm expecting the MG to backof just in case the green Stug gets the targetting right. But no, not really. Instead, midround, the TacAI decides to move towards the enemy.

I'm thinking, OK, he want's to go into the scattered trees patch to hide. Wrong again! He continues cruising towards the enemy for about 30-40 meters and the end of the round finds him in a middle of a huge field, which is good for picnic purposes, but definitely not for an MG carrier.

Maybe he would have moved even further had the round not finished. (Of course I'm not going to test that Michael, I'm ordering the b@stard back, stop salivating.)

I can think of a very smart TacAI that maximizes the impact of the veteran MG carrier, while keeping moving fast, as the Stug is green and can't hit a barn from 100m, or I can think of a stupid TacAI that wants to commit suicide... I think I'll choose the former.

Anybody saw similar things with the latest version?

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coralsaw:

Anybody saw similar things with the latest version?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, just last night in a pbem game, an infantry unit was being clobbered, and he began to run towards the nearest cover in the direction of the enemy lines, which happened to hold the nearest unit that was firing at him. He didn't make it... frown.gif

There were only friendly units behind him and there was heavy fog, so he could easily have retreated.

I believe I read that there is a certain probability that a panicked unit will run towards the nearest cover whether or not it contains an enemy unit, so maybe I was just unlucky.

Henri

I just saw that BTS was 100% sure that they put the new Sherman Jumbo Stats in 1.1 only to find out that they did not.

I wonder if the AI that is supposed to move units AWAY from the enemy into cover also somehow did not make the cut despite their best efforts.

------------------

Jeff Newell

TankDawg

Well, I agree.

Next round, the MG carrier got toasted by the Greenie.

Suits him damn well!

If anybody at BTS wants a file, I'd be happy to oblige, as this is one of the stupidest things I have seen for ages.

coralsaw out.

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...