Backward compatibility?

Is CM2 going to be compatible with CM scenarios/ops?

I understand it's inteded to revise TacAI on lessons learned basis with decisionmaking covering several turns. Panzers would "remember" there was that nasty firefly in that town sector so we'll just ignore the infantry right now. At least back off from LOS to the last known position of the biggest threat before rotating to deal with grunts.

Sort of factoring in threats they "saw" with stuff they can see right now.

In any case, it'd be nice to be able to play some of the excellent ops/scenarios with upgraded TacAI later on.

Any chance of this happening?

I can't see how CM2 could be "CM compatible" as it will have different terrains, armies, units, etc..

But what would be extremely cool is if BTS release an "improved" version/patch of CM incorporating at least some of the new features of CM2... Stg like TalonSoft did with the BG series, and now HPS with PzC series, always upgrading all products up to the last one.

This way CM won't suddenly "age" when CM2 will be out, we won't have again the "SL syndrom" when new expansions (GI:AoV) outdated previous ones (CoI/CoD)in what should have been a coherent game system.

Originally posted by Forever Babra:

With any luck at all (fingers crossed 'til the knuckles turn white here), once CM2 is done, BTS will be able to import CMBO-specific data into the new engine and release it as a patch.

I think I'll go knock on wood, throw a penny in a well, find a star to wish on...

Has BTS given any intention/principle/decision about this ?

Matt, can you help ??

What little I know of software projects.. (little magicks are most dangerous things)

It should be a lot easier/sensible to keep

CM map/unit compatibility in the CM2 codebase instead of doing a truckload of changes into the engine and then trying to jury-rig all that into the previous version.

That way you can deal with issues as they arise.

Another option might be a "plug-in" filter to allow CM2 binary to read CM1 data.

Well, The Man might know what he's doing.

"Älä opeta isääsi naimaan" and all that.

Originally posted by Barleyman:

What little I know of software projects.. (little magicks are most dangerous things)

It should be a lot easier/sensible to keep

CM map/unit compatibility in the CM2 codebase instead of doing a truckload of changes into the engine and then trying to jury-rig all that into the previous version.

That way you can deal with issues as they arise.

Another option might be a "plug-in" filter to allow CM2 binary to read CM1 data.

Well, The Man might know what he's doing.

"Älä opeta isääsi naimaan" and all that.

Depending on how the code was written, ideally, it would be much, much easier to code cm2 to support the units and terrain of CM1, and so you'd essentially have CM2 with a "cm1 mode", with all of the new features.. But if they weren't designing it with that in mind at first, they probably did several things that would automatically negate doing that without excessive work.

Originally posted by SenorBeef:

But if they weren't designing it with that in mind at first, they probably did several things that would automatically negate doing that without excessive work.

Luckily they have dedicated users who have pointed out this potential pitfall and can now serve us with a well rounded out product in a timely manner!

Phew! What would BTS ever do without us?

Originally posted by Barleyman:

Luckily they have dedicated users who have pointed out this potential pitfall and can now serve us with a well rounded out product in a timely manner!

Phew! What would BTS ever do without us?

I think they concentrate on developing the game, we can concentrate on *thinking* about it, anyway it'll end up changing nothing...

biggrin.gif

I have seen Steve say that they are planning to make CM2 backwards compatible, but it remains to be seen how practacle that approach will be.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.