Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

The Best Miltary Commander of WWII?

OK. We've had some fun with "The Worst Military Commander of WWII." Now who was the best?

To again define "military commander": as on the previous thread, I mean a general or admiral or a political leader who exercised direct operational control over his forces. I thus argued that Hitler was the worst military commander of WWII, since he exercised daily control over operations. But I suggested that FDR shouldn't be included in that discussion, since he tended to leave generaling to the generals, and I feel the same way here. Stalin does count (if you want to count him!?) Churchill is borderline, since his influence on operations was more limited that Hitler or Stalin. I think we could admit Marshall and Brooke, and other Chiefs of Staff, to THIS discussion, because they had direct oversight of military matters.

The answer to THIS question seems to me far less clear, and I'm less confident of whom to suggest--but I'll take a stab at someone you might not think of: Admiral Nimitz. This guy took over a military situation that was nothing but a succession of disasters and rapidly turned it around. He found a core of effective leaders, got his demoralized forces quickly back on the (limited) offensive, and started to quickly win a series of battles. He identified effective leaders and gave them tasks they could handle and grow in. He relieved ineffective leaders (like Gormley) when relief was necessary. He figured out how to work effectively with MacArthur and Admiral King--two giant egos who hated each other-- without getting crushed between them. His forces won at Midway and Guadalcanal with limited resources and when he got stronger forces he managed these with great economy and skill, conducting a lightning campaign across the Central Pacific in 1944. It's hard to think of a single major mistake he made throughout his tenure--or even substantial minor ones. (Well, maybe Pelieu, a costly and unnecessary attack.)

Whether this qualifies him as the Greatest Military Commander of WWII I'm not sure. His scope, though vast, wasn't quite as big as some others. But it's a heck of a record!

What do you guys think?