Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Great website: The Russian Battlefield

Guest Heinz 25th PzReg

Guest Heinz 25th PzReg

http://history.vif2.ru/index.html

For those of you that havent visited this site, head on over there asap.

The Latest News

The Soviet booklet "Destroy Fascist Tanks With the Antitank Rifle" in now available

In German captivity. Fragment form the manuscript by Nikolay Obryn'ba.

Excerpt from a stenography of the April 14-17, 1940 conference of senior army officers at the Central Committee of the Communist Party. Contained a speech of colonel V.V. Kryukov commander of 306 rifle regiment were M. Lukinov served.

The story of a T-34 driver by Semion Aria and an interview with the author.

The interview with Dmirtij Loza, the Hero of the Soviet Union

The article about construction features of the T-18

Announcements

The new article about development history and combat employment of the T-24 Medium Tank

Third fragment from unpublished book by E. Monyushko. Upper-Silesian operation.

Memoirs of PTR-rifle man and scout V. Zimakov.

Memoirs of V. Dolmatov.

The new article about development history and combat employment of the BT-2 Light Tank

The new article about development history and combat employment of the BT-5 Light Tank

Happy reading!

Heinz

------------------

"To subdue your enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Visit my AAR site:

home.online.no/~andhess/cm/

And my Panzer Elite site:

25th-pzrgt.de

Heinz 25th PzReg wrote:

Excerpt from a stenography of the April 14-17, 1940 conference of senior army officers at the Central Committee of the Communist Party.

Note for all those who can read Finnish: the complete notes of that meeting have been published in Finnish, in "Puna-armeija Stalinin tentissä". I strongly recommend reading them as it will give a good insight into psychology of the high-ranking military officials.

My favourite quote was Stalin's comment on artillery. I don't remember exact words just now, but the main idea was:

Some people think that artillery should fire only against targets. That is outdated. The artillery should fire at everything.

- Tommi

Even allowing for a bit of patriotic bias, this certainly explains why the KT didn't get adopted by anyone after the war! (Unlike the Panther). Also, oh Uber tank fans (quote)

"The tank's hull and turret side plates were penetrated by

armor-piercing projectiles from the domestic(=Russian) 85 mm and American 76

mm guns at ranges of 800-2000 metres."

------------------

The conception of such a plan was impossible for a man of Montgomery's innate caution...In fact, Montgomery's decision to mount the operation ...[Market Garden] was as startling as it would have been for an elderly and saintly Bishop suddenly to decide to take up safe breaking and begin on the Bank of England. (R.W.Thompson, Montgomery the Field Marshall)