155mm VT arty ROCKS !

Hi all,

As the French saying goes, perhaps am I "bashing opened doors" but I want to share my first experience with this unit - yes, I play CM since July 2000, but never unyil yesterday did I had 155mmVT at my disposal.

It was a US Ardennes scenario defense vs hordes of armored Hamsters smile.gif, played for fun as it was against the AI tongue.gif

The Germans overran my exposed first line of defense, then falled into a "kill trap" by 57mm ATGs...However on a flank a whole platoon+ made it through woods then... I had a paltry reinforcement platoon + a lone 155VT observer :eek:

The guy ran up to a large building to have a good LOS, targeted and... HELL broke down on the nazis ! Arrival of the shells with view 1 was impressive :eek: !!

And in 2-3 turns, after only a dozen of shells (VT fires more slowly ??), the platoon was reduced to perhaps 10 fleeing hamsters ! :D:D

And I continued and targeted an armored column, soon a HT was on fire...Then I ended pounding an immobilized (by a zook) PzIV, and got it in 2 turns. Another kill !

In the end the FO had 27 inf kills, 1 mortar, 1 Ht and 1 PzIV, and the battery still had 80+ shells !!

Whooosh, what a powerful unit !

Did some amongst you have experience with this arty ?

Phil,

I also had mixed results, but never so good ones ! smile.gif What was really striking is that the shells killed mucho enemies in a large radius, perhaps 20m, so accuracy wasn't really an issue - and I think the extended radius has to do with the VT effect.

Perhaps it has to do with the FO quality too, this one was a Veteran and had good sights it seems !! :D