GERMAN PENETRATION DATA

Big Time Software wrote:

Ok this is interesting.

I'll muddle the pool and give third figure.

According to the Kantakoski's book that I've been quoting a lot today, the Finns measured that the 75 mm L/48 had a muzzle velocity of 770 m/s. He adds, that this was different from German value of 790 m/s. He doesn't give figures for L/43. The two other 75 mm guns listed are L/24 (385 m/s) and L/70 (935 m/s) (both from German sources as neither was used by Finns).

- Tommi

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rexford:

75L48 muzzle velocity of 770 m/s could be a random variation from 750 m/s average.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK if we/you/BTS wanted to get REALLY complicated (more realistic, more accurate?) perhaps when the calculation/algorythm is executed for EVERY Main weapon round fired (WAY better than actaully rolling the dice for every result here in old board games like Tobruk) the possible random variation of 730 m/s to 770 m/s could be bell curved with an equation to indicate that the majority of the shots that are fired were "lauched" at around 750 m/s (if that is the "true" average), and some shots would be fired faster or slower than that. This would add even more time to crunch the turn.

Would it add any MORE noticable realism? Good question? I doubt it...

oh well it was just a thought......

A litte random (via a bell curve) variation in the velocity of the round as it leaves might be a cool feature to add, but in Real Life â„¢ probably not really worth the effort on the part of Charles.

-tom w

Guest Big Time Software

Tommi, I think I can answer your question at least smile.gif The 75mm gun you were talking about was mounted in a StuG III, correct? Well... it had a slightly different version than in the PzIV. The 75mm StuK40 L/48 used on the StuGIII has, as far as we can tell (we had to dig for this info) a muzzle velocity of 770 m/s.

The difference between the 750 m/s and 790 m/s is not hugely different. However, at certain ranges against certain targets it could most likely make the difference between a hit and a penetrating hit.

Steve

Big Time Software:

I think I can answer your question at least smile.gif The 75mm gun you were talking about was mounted in a StuG III, correct?

Possibly. Either that or the 75 Pak 40. The text didn't mention which one was tested.

The 75mm StuK40 L/48 used on the StuGIII has, as far as we can tell (we had to dig for this info) a muzzle velocity of 770 m/s.

That would explain it. The Germans did, however, claim that the tested gun had 790 m/s muzzle velocity, but it wouldn't be the first time when some mixup like that happens.

(For example, the performance specifications of Italian Fiat G.50 were seriously exaggerated, or at least could be achieved only on some strange conditions that had no relation to actual battle conditions. Yes, I know that the same thing applies to all aircraft to some extent, but Fiat's figures were way off.)

- Tommi

Guest Big Time Software

Tommi:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>That would explain it. The Germans did, however, claim that the tested gun had 790 m/s muzzle velocity, but it wouldn't be the first time when some mixup like that happens. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, and 55 years later we are all sitting around scratching our heads about what is right and wrong smile.gif Just another example of why looking at technical specifications needs to be done with a sceptical eye. Unfortunately, too many people are willing to believe whatever it is they read if it looks "official" (especially if it is of German origin).

Steve