Has this ever happened to you? (Weird-bug report)

OK, I need some help here, if anybody can tell me why this happened (and how to prevent it happening again) I'll be eternally (well, kinda) grateful!

SO; we're in the middle (turn 20) of a TCP/IP over LAN game, the scenario is Rune's "Caen Mutiny" (Good scenario btw) and we're happily blowing each others tanks and men to little burnt crunchy bits when suddenly the data transfer from my opponents computer to mine freezes... various expleteves later we've restarted from the auto save... but now four of my tanks have taken up position behind my opponens forces and one of his a-t vehicles have appeared among my units... of course havoc ensues where my tanks go at the opponents vehicles like a Cesspooler on a saturday night (unexpected and from behind) and my poor Bren carriers are dispatched like popcorn by the opponents a-t vehicle... and then the whole damn thing freezes again!

What the [expletive deleted] is this? The scenario? (I know Rune has an evil reputation but really...), the connection? (used a 3Com hub and standard Cat5 cables which I've used in dozens of CM games before) Overload on the computers? (One Desktop 500 mhz /128 mb Matrox Millenium 450 GB videocard and one Dell Inspiron 8000 733mhz / 128 mb)

Any hints or thoughts would be more than welcome!

-Derfel

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Did you get a "Reinforcements Have Arrived" message?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never tried it before but unless that scenario was a fierce swirl of forces, would reinforcements appear behind enemy lines?

Somebody tried that?

That would be wicked...

Gents,

Thanks for the input, but this wasn't a case of creative placement of reinforcements because a/ no message and b/my tanks actually appeared in place of several of my opponents tanks and his A-T vehicle took the place of a Cromwell VII of mine...

-Derfel

If you still have the autosave file you should send it to BTS with a note describing what happened. They're good about trying to find the source of bugs- though I imagine the fix will only go into CM2.

It seems like a pretty odd bug though, because I suspect that the files have some kind of checksums to keep you from even opening corrupted files.

Yeah, data corruption was my first thought as well... but... a selective corruption that replaces or rather repositions units?

Anyway, I will send the autosavefile to BTS, not that I imagine they can do anything about it but it might (as you said) prevent it (if it really is a bug) from appearing in CM2.

-Derfel

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PawBroon:

... would reinforcements appear behind enemy lines?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Reinforcements appear where the reinforcement marker is positioned. It doesn't matter where the enemy is.

There is at least one scenario provided with the CMBO CD where the attackers reinforcements pop up in the midst of the defenders positions...

Cheers

Olle