Wow, those gunners must practice...

I've noticed that when AT shots (tank rounds, bazooka rockets, IG shells, etc.) hit a tank, they always hit it dead center. Is that the way it's supposed to be? It would seem that outside of the "gee that's wierd looking" factor of seeing a shell hit the same spot every time, that a shell hitting the edge of the front of the turret would have a much different effect than a shell hitting the base of the gun.

I suspect that "hitting dead center" is just how the graphics are modeled. The game models hits on the turret, upper hull, lower hull, and other sites. But it probably isn't easy or straightforward to code different locations for strikes graphically.

Actually, this has been covered before in that the image that you see of an AFV is not really what the computer "sees". ie. The graphic representaion of the AFV is only that. The actual location of the AFV may be slightly different than where you see the graphic.

This was brought up in a thread concerning a 'schreck round passing right through the turret of a Sherman along the road into Reisberg and not causing any damage.

------------------

"I for one, am pretty damn close to Genius"--Ol' Blood & Maximus

Seen nearly the same thing, at VoT the Pak/40 aimed at my Sherman 105 with a FO as passenger; just when the Sherman get out of LOS behind the 2-story building at the left the PaK changed target to the observer (LOS line clearly going straight through the building, not the edge or stuff) and fired several rounds at the FO. All rounds exploded in/at the building.

murx

My mistake, that wasnt very clear. You can see the shell hit the hull or the turret, or it hits the side of the tank if you shoot it from the side, what I'm talking about is direct hit vs. glancing shot. Specifically, are there glancing hits, or is every hit right on the bullseye?

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pirate Bill:

My mistake, that wasnt very clear. You can see the shell hit the hull or the turret, or it hits the side of the tank if you shoot it from the side, what I'm talking about is direct hit vs. glancing shot. Specifically, are there glancing hits, or is every hit right on the bullseye?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe there is a difference between the game's damage model and the graphic representation of it. CM models armour sloping in relation to 3D, all shots are tracked at least until they leave the map (so secondary damage is accounted for), ricochets happen, all too often if you are in command of AT assets, grrrr!! There are detailed damage messages (e.g. "Front Turret Penetration"), and I believe those and not the graphic representation are relevant. Hope I got that right - too much whisky and that Hobgoblin Ale did not help.

------------------

Andreas